Photo: Canadian Pacific(?) Boxcar 10130 (Circa 1900)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Canadian Pacific(?) Boxcar 10130 (Circa 1900)

A photo from the Maine Memory Network:

https://www.mainememory.net/artifact/33768

Click on the photo and scroll to enlarge it.

Road name appears to me to be Canadian Pacific. Perhaps someone with a better monitor can confirm this.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Kenneth Montero

Bob,

On the left side is a very faint "Canadian Pacific" (with "Canadian" being very faint) in an arch, with "C.P.R." on the door. On the end and on the right side is the car number "10130".

Ken Montero

[...]

Robert kirkham

Nice find.  That car is part of a particularly short lived series of cars (10001-19440 - even only)  - shown in Ian Cranstone’s roster data as existing 1905-1906.  So far, I am unable to trace the cars prior to renumbering into this series, or in subsequent re-numberings.  At least by 1915 this number series was re-occupied by a group of 36’ flat cars.

Rob

On Apr 7, 2021, at 10:08 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Canadian Pacific(?) Boxcar 10130 (Circa 1900)
A photo from the Maine Memory Network:
Click on the photo and scroll to enlarge it.
Road name appears to me to be Canadian Pacific. Perhaps someone with a better monitor can confirm this.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Dennis Storzek

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 02:35 PM, Robert kirkham wrote:
Nice find.  That car is part of a particularly short lived series of cars (10001-19440 - even only)
Rob,

Any thoughts on the color of this car? Since the side lettering is so dark, the sides must be light colored... yellow, maybe? Meanwhile, with white numbers on the end, the end is likely freight car color.

Dennis Storzek

Robert kirkham

Its not a topic I know a lot about.  I have not seen records disclosing an answer on the early colours; just the insights other modellers and historical recreation artists have put out there.  Others have shown CPR cars painted in what I’d call a yellow ochre colour (a lower saturation, earthy yellow).  One such paint scheme figured in the historical documentary “National Dream” way back inter 1970s.    The only car of this vintage I have ever seen in person was boxcar red on all surfaces, with white lettering.  But it had been converted to work service a very long time before I saw it up close.  Still - the fact it carried the arched Canadian Pacific said something about that scheme.

Rob

On Apr 7, 2021, at 3:26 PM, Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 02:35 PM, Robert kirkham wrote:
Nice find.  That car is part of a particularly short lived series of cars (10001-19440 - even only)
Rob,

Any thoughts on the color of this car? Since the side lettering is so dark, the sides must be light colored... yellow, maybe? Meanwhile, with white numbers on the end, the end is likely freight car color.

Dennis Storzek

John Riddell

Pre 1900 CPR painted some of its box car sides a buff or ochre shade with black lettering.. This car was restored in a typical pre-190-0 paint scheme in Heritage Park, Calgary.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

John Riddell