From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2019 11:04 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Chalk Marks On Boxcar

Photo: Chalk Marks On Boxcar

This is link to a photo from the collection of the University of Utah:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s66138c3

Does anyone have an educated guess (as opposed to a SWAG) as to what the series of chalk marks along the upper side of the car mean?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Richard Townsend

As long as we're wondering, I wonder what the little hooks under the left-most two side panels are for.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Lots of chalk marks, even the journal box lids have chalk marks. Don’t know what they mean.

Doug  Harding
www.iowacentralrr.org

This is link to a photo from the collection of the University of Utah:
Does anyone have an educated guess (as opposed to a SWAG) as to what the series of chalk marks along the upper side of the car mean?
Thanks.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Guy Wilber

Richard Townsend asked:

“As long as we're wondering, I wonder what the little hooks under the left-most two side panels are for.”

Those hooks were used to hold “Keely Cans” used to cool journal boxes.  They held water which dripped onto the boxes.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

Richard Townsend

Thanks. One mystery solved.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

“As long as we're wondering, I wonder what the little hooks under the left-most two side panels are for.”

Those hooks were used to hold “Keely Cans” used to cool journal boxes.  They held water which dripped onto the boxes.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

Dennis Storzek

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 11:39 AM, Richard Townsend wrote:
As long as we're wondering, I wonder what the little hooks under the left-most two side panels are for.
For hanging a water bag to drip on an overheated journal (hotbox) to nurse it along until the car can be set out. The Q was a big proponent of this, even having them over tender trucks.

As to the prominent chalk marks, someone was using the car side as a chalk board, likely counting piles of something on a loading dock. They may not even have anything to do with a load that was ever in this car.

Dennis Storzek

Bob Chaparro

Keeley Cans & Hoses

This message was posted by "MontourMan" on Train Orders.com on 09/26/16. It was in response to a question about hoses over the truck bearings on a UP locomotive tender.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

++++

Keeley was a name that railroaders picked up to use referring to the treatment of hotboxes. See the attached Wikipedia link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keeley_Institute

We have several portable "Keeley Cans" that the Burlington made, that have light chains to secure it to the freight car body.

Attached to it was a long rubber hose with a regulating valve to control water flow to the hot bearing.

This was to allow the car to be moved to the nearest set off point for proper repair.

These cans are marked "Burlington" and I have never seen anything like it from any other railroad.

Norm Buckhart

Guy - are these cans in the photo Keely Cans? that you are referring to?  Norm Buckhart

On Dec 1, 2019, at 1:02 PM, Guy Wilber via Groups.Io <guycwilber@...> wrote:

Richard Townsend asked:

“As long as we're wondering, I wonder what the little hooks under the left-most two side panels are for.”

Those hooks were used to hold “Keely Cans” used to cool journal boxes.  They held water which dripped onto the boxes.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

Jack Mullen

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 09:30 AM, Norm Buckhart wrote:
are these cans in the photo Keely Cans
Yes, they are.  Thanks for great photos to illustrate this topic.
Jack Mullen