Topics

Photo: Chemical Processing Vessel On Flat Cars (Circa 1935)

Bob Chaparro

Photo from the State Historical Society Of Missouri:

https://cdm17228.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/imc/id/12440/rec/1

Not SSW flatcars, but Erie & Milwaukee Road flatcars.

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Bob and List Members,

Thanks Bob for another great image.

Regarding the image date, I think I see 10-36 stencilled on ERIE 7209, so it cannot be 1935...

Regarding the car CMStP&P 67053, it is one car of the two-car series 67053-67054. This is a 44-ft 200-ton car built by Standard Steel Car Co. on 10-1928 with trucks and span bolster from Buckeye Steel Castings Co.

Railway Age 02Feb1929 pg264 has an illustrated article on these two cars - a quote from the article...

"The cars are intended for the service of the A. O. Smith Corporation, Milwaukee, Wis., in transporting unusually heave machinery, including large gasoline stills used in a new cracking process"

So this image is spot on and shows the cars in the intended service!

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2020 12:51 PM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Chemical Processing Vessel On Flat Cars (Circa 1935)

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Oops, I made an error, this is two-car series 67051-67053 (odd only), not series 67053-67054

Claus Schlund

Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2020 2:22 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Chemical Processing Vessel On Flat Cars (Circa 1935)

Hi Bob and List Members,

Thanks Bob for another great image.

Regarding the image date, I think I see 10-36 stencilled on ERIE 7209, so it cannot be 1935...

Regarding the car CMStP&P 67053, it is one car of the two-car series 67053-67054. This is a 44-ft 200-ton car built by Standard Steel Car Co. on 10-1928 with trucks and span bolster from Buckeye Steel Castings Co.

Railway Age 02Feb1929 pg264 has an illustrated article on these two cars - a quote from the article...

"The cars are intended for the service of the A. O. Smith Corporation, Milwaukee, Wis., in transporting unusually heave machinery, including large gasoline stills used in a new cracking process"

So this image is spot on and shows the cars in the intended service!

Claus Schlund

Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2020 12:51 PM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Chemical Processing Vessel On Flat Cars (Circa 1935)

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Keith Retterer

It is interesting to see these cars both used with this giant load.  I have the builder's photos for Erie 7210, and three photos of CMStP&P 67053.

gary laakso

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.  Which plastic model making company offered the CMStP&P flatcar in HO scale.  It likely was in the 1960s.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Keith Retterer
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2020 2:41 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Chemical Processing Vessel On Flat Cars (Circa 1935)

It is interesting to see these cars both used with this giant load.  I have the builder's photos for Erie 7210, and three photos of CMStP&P 67053.

Kenneth Montero

Athearn offered it in plastic for years. Its latest iteration (out of stock) is labeled as a "heavy duty" flat car in the Roundhouse line - also as a 200 ton flat car.

I have a metal car that looks the same as the Athearn plastic car, so I suspect that Athearn also may have made the same car earlier in metal.

Ken Montero

PS Did anyone notice the end markings on the Milwaukee car - same on the truck nearest the end? How often did this happen, especially on the trucks, and even more especially as to the size of the solid bearings on the truck?

Ken Montero

On 10/16/2020 5:49 PM gary laakso <vasa0vasa@...> wrote:

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.  Which plastic model making company offered the CMStP&P flatcar in HO scale.  It likely was in the 1960s.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Keith Retterer
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2020 2:41 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Jon Miller

On 10/16/2020 5:30 PM, Kenneth Montero wrote:
Athearn offered it in plastic for years.

Did the Athearn car have the rivets?

-- 
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems, JMRI User
SPROG User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Benjamin Hom

Gary Laakso asked:
"Which plastic model making company offered the CMStP&P flatcar in HO scale?  It likely was in the 1960s."

Ken Montero replied:
"Athearn offered it in plastic for years. Its latest iteration (out of stock) is labeled as a "heavy duty" flat car in the Roundhouse line - also as a 200 ton flat car.

I have a metal car that looks the same as the Athearn plastic car, so I suspect that Athearn also may have made the same car earlier in metal."

Jon Miller added:
"Did the Athearn car have the rivets?" 

While Athearn has indeed had a heavy-duty flat car in their line since their metal model days (as well as Bachmann's six-axle knockoff), the only thing the model has in common with the Milwaukee flat in the photo is it has four trucks.  The prototype for the Athearn flat is the General Steel Castings 200-ton flat car, built for several different roads including PRR and SP.  Here's Tony Thompson's blog article on these cars:

Note that the GSC car is one large steel casting with no rivets nor stake pockets, which is nothing like the Milwaukee car in the original post.  The Athearn model doesn't model it terribly well - the sides are too high, and the car rides too high on its trucks due to it being engineered to run on sharp curves. 

Going back to Gary's question, the answer is no - nobody has done that Milwaukee car in plastic.

Ben Hom

spsalso

And the truck spacing is wrong on the bolster on the Athearn car.

Red Ball did some riveted sides for similar cars, I think NYC.  In fact, I think Champ did a decal set for that very car (HC-291).  I think.

MILW car in plastic?:  Jolly Joker.

Ed

Edward Sutorik