Topics

Photo: Chemical Processing Vessel On Flat Cars (Circa 1935)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Chemical Processing Vessel On Flat Cars (Circa 1935)

Photo from the State Historical Society Of Missouri:

https://cdm17228.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/imc/id/12440/rec/1

Not SSW flatcars, but Erie & Milwaukee Road flatcars.

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Bob and List Members,

Thanks Bob for another great image.

Regarding the image date, I think I see 10-36 stencilled on ERIE 7209, so it cannot be 1935...

Regarding the car CMStP&P 67053, it is one car of the two-car series 67053-67054. This is a 44-ft 200-ton car built by Standard Steel Car Co. on 10-1928 with trucks and span bolster from Buckeye Steel Castings Co.

Railway Age 02Feb1929 pg264 has an illustrated article on these two cars - a quote from the article...

"The cars are intended for the service of the A. O. Smith Corporation, Milwaukee, Wis., in transporting unusually heave machinery, including large gasoline stills used in a new cracking process"

So this image is spot on and shows the cars in the intended service!

Claus Schlund

Photo: Chemical Processing Vessel On Flat Cars (Circa 1935)

Photo from the State Historical Society Of Missouri:

https://cdm17228.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/imc/id/12440/rec/1

Not SSW flatcars, but Erie & Milwaukee Road flatcars.

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Oops, I made an error, this is two-car series 67051-67053 (odd only), not series 67053-67054

Claus Schlund

Photo: Chemical Processing Vessel On Flat Cars (Circa 1935)

Photo from the State Historical Society Of Missouri:

https://cdm17228.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/imc/id/12440/rec/1

Not SSW flatcars, but Erie & Milwaukee Road flatcars.

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Keith Retterer

It is interesting to see these cars both used with this giant load.  I have the builder's photos for Erie 7210, and three photos of CMStP&P 67053.

gary laakso

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.  Which plastic model making company offered the CMStP&P flatcar in HO scale.  It likely was in the 1960s.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock