Topics

Photo: CN Hopper 119630 (1938)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: CN Hopper 119630 (1938)

A photo from the National Archives of Canada:

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/CollectionSearch/Pages/record.aspx?app=FonAndCol&IdNumber=3309126

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.

Car built 1923.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

David

Ah! This one of those Canadian hoppers that is not quite a 1905CD car and not quite a Gla. Canadian National inherited most of them from its predecessors, but some other small Canadian lines had some, and GTW and Central Vermont also had some.

David Thompson

Dave Parker

David:

Were the CV cars the ones in the 20000 series (200 cars)?  The IL and IW match, but the cubic CAPYs are different.  Maybe a difference in measuring convention (heaped vs. not)?

Thanks for the tip.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

David

Yes, CV 20000-20199. The cubic capacity of the original cars is the same 1680cf as the CN and GTW hoppers. 1769cf is the capacity for the panel-side rebuilds.

David Thompson

Dave Parker

Except that the CU FT in the photo here is 1918 (!).  Which leads down a LONNNNG rabbit hole involving the CV 20000 (nee 30000) series, Ian Cranstone's Canadian database, and a half a dozen or so ORERs.

It would be super helpful to see a photo of the CV 20000-series cars -- can anybody supply one?

PS:  I have to question the 1938 photo date.  I think it's more likely the 1923 builder's photo.  It has the Eastern Car Co builder's logo on it, which agrees with Ian's tabulation of CN 119550-119649, built 4/23.  The CU FT discrepancy is readily apparent here.  1680 in Ian's table, 1918 in the hyperlinked photo (the same photo as Bob posted).
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA