Photo: Coal Yard Scene (Undated)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Coal Yard Scene (Undated)

Photo from the Missouri Historical Society.

Nice assortment of truss rod boxcars.

Chouteau Avenue and Missouri Pacific Railroad. Vandeventer Coal Company Railroad Yard.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Paul Doggett

Bob
That’s a really interesting photo why would oats be re cleaned as one of the buildings advertises

Paul Doggett

On 2 Jul 2022, at 22:15, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Coal Yard Scene (Undated)

Photo from the Missouri Historical Society.

Nice assortment of truss rod boxcars.

Chouteau Avenue and Missouri Pacific Railroad. Vandeventer Coal Company Railroad Yard.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Attachments:

Bruce Hendrick

The excellent detail of this image would seem to indicate it was produced from the original glass plate common in the 1800s and known for their great clarity.

Of interest to me was the Hocking Valley boxcar, a line I was not familiar with. A quick internet search indicates its origins date to 1864 as a coal hauling railroad in southern Ohio and that it operated under several names such as Columbus & Hocking Valley and later Hocking Valley before being absorbed into the C&O in 1930. Parts of the line still exist in the CSX system while the Hocking Valley Scenic Railroad provides tourist steam operations today.

The door boards would seem to indicate the HVRR boxcar was used to transport a load of Ohio coal to this Missouri dealer.

Thanks for sharing an interesting image.

Bruce Hendrick

Ted Schnepf

Hello,

To remove the lighter weed seeds.  Helped my father fan oats many a time.

Ted Schnepf

On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 01:33:35 AM CDT, Paul Doggett via groups.io <paul.doggett2472@...> wrote:

Bob
That’s a really interesting photo why would oats be re cleaned as one of the buildings advertises

Paul Doggett

On 2 Jul 2022, at 22:15, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Coal Yard Scene (Undated)

Photo from the Missouri Historical Society.

Nice assortment of truss rod boxcars.

Chouteau Avenue and Missouri Pacific Railroad. Vandeventer Coal Company Railroad Yard.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Attachments:

Paul Doggett

Hello Ted

Thank you.

Paul Doggett

On 3 Jul 2022, at 16:04, Ted Schnepf <railsunl@...> wrote:

Hello,

To remove the lighter weed seeds.  Helped my father fan oats many a time.

Ted Schnepf

On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 01:33:35 AM CDT, Paul Doggett via groups.io <paul.doggett2472@...> wrote:

Bob
That’s a really interesting photo why would oats be re cleaned as one of the buildings advertises

Paul Doggett

On 2 Jul 2022, at 22:15, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Coal Yard Scene (Undated)

Photo from the Missouri Historical Society.

Nice assortment of truss rod boxcars.

Chouteau Avenue and Missouri Pacific Railroad. Vandeventer Coal Company Railroad Yard.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Attachments:

Bob Weston

Edited

The Hocking Valley Railway ran from Toledo, Ohio, south through Columbus to Athens, Ohio. While built to haul coal out of Southern Ohio most of the line passes through an agricultural area extending from Toledo to about thirty miles south of Columbus before entering coal country. Given the close proximity of the HV boxcar to the building with the 're-cleaned oats" sign ,which may be a grain elevator, it's possible the car hauled grain to the elevator. Several abandoned elevators still exist south of Columbus along what is now Genesee and Western's Indiana and Ohio RR.