Topics

Photo: CP Boxcar 24000

Bob Chaparro

Photo: CP Boxcar 24000

Courtesy of Model Railroader, an early vertical rib boxcar:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/b399/doctorwayne/Scanned%20foe-toes/Copy%20of%20CPR%20BOXCAR007.jpg

No information provided to accompany the photo.

Experimental car or put into service in meaningful numbers?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

mel perry

looks like a early copy cat of the b&o
wagon top
mel perry

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020, 4:45 PM Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: CP Boxcar 24000

Courtesy of Model Railroader, an early vertical rib boxcar:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/b399/doctorwayne/Scanned%20foe-toes/Copy%20of%20CPR%20BOXCAR007.jpg

No information provided to accompany the photo.

Experimental car or put into service in meaningful numbers?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Bob,

The photo was probably from the 1919 CAR BUILDERS' DICTIONARY, pages 253-255 (also in the Gregg TSC reprint #35). These pages also include detailed drawings. No other information is there.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff ¬†ūü¶Ü

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 7:45 PM Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: CP Boxcar 24000

Courtesy of Model Railroader, an early vertical rib boxcar:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/b399/doctorwayne/Scanned%20foe-toes/Copy%20of%20CPR%20BOXCAR007.jpg

No information provided to accompany the photo.

Experimental car or put into service in meaningful numbers?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bruce Smith

Interesting!  A bit earlier than the PRR's class X36 103500, their 9/25/1936 example of an outside post boxcar, well before these became popular!

(photo posted to Rob Schoewnberg's page, from the collection of Bill Lane)

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, Al

Courtesy of Model Railroader, an early vertical rib boxcar:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/b399/doctorwayne/Scanned%20foe-toes/Copy%20of%20CPR%20BOXCAR007.jpg

No information provided to accompany the photo.

Experimental car or put into service in meaningful numbers?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

John Riddell

CP 24000 was a single all-steel car built in November  1914 (lot 237) by the Canadian Car & Foundry Co. Limited in Montreal. It carried lettering indicating it was to carry  grain from Port McNicoli,  Ontario and St. John, New Brunswick. It had a capacity of 2610 cu ft, , inside length 36-0, inside width 8-7, inside height 8-4.  It had a grain door at the top of the A end. It had a capacity of 80,000 lbs.

Six months earlier in June 1914, CC&F built an almost identical car which builders photos show it lettered for CC&F and numbered CC&F 201.

John Riddell

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Donald B. Valentine

    That's absolutely correct Garth. Have my 1919 Car Builders Cyc. open right here. I'll have to check again with friends
in Montreal as this car, CPR #24000, has been discussed with them before. I don't believe more than a ver few were
construcged, if mre than one, as an experimentaal because the CPR seemed dedicated to the Dominion car examples
of which arfe in the succeeding pages of rhe 1919 Car Builders Cyc. Surprizingly a photo and drawings for rhe Union Pacific
single sheathed 50 ft. car that Walthers used the drawings for the prototype of thier model that I raised questions about this
week can also be foudn in the 1919 Car Builders. Guess I need to look trhough them more ofen!

   Not ot reain on Mel's parade but I believe this car predates he B&O's efforts with their wagon top construction.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Benjamin Hom

Don Valentine wrote:
"Surprisingly a photo and drawings for the Union Pacific single sheathed 50 ft. car that Walthers used the drawings for the prototype of thier model that I raised questions about this week can also be found in the 1919 Car Builders [Cyclopedia]."

Not Walthers - Westerfield.

Ben Hom

Schuyler Larrabee

Was this a class of cars, or a one-off?