Topics

Photo: D&RGW Gondola 70609 (1952)

Bob Chaparro

A photo from the Denver Public Library:

https://digital.denverlibrary.org/digital/collection/p15330coll22/id/81323/rec/349

Click on the double-headed arrow and then scroll to enlarge the image to get a good view of the gondola.

Taken at Montrose, Colorado.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Steve and Barb Hile

Lots of interesting stuff in this photo including the hand transfer from the narrow gauge gon to a standard gauge one.  Several oil jobbers.  NSC end on the CN boxcar, Murphy end on the SSW boxcar, etc.

This is one to savor.

Thanks,

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, January 2, 2021 12:08 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Photo: D&RGW Gondola 70609 (1952)

https://digital.denverlibrary.org/digital/collection/p15330coll22/id/81323/rec/349

Click on the double-headed arrow and then scroll to enlarge the image to get a good view of the gondola.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Richard Townsend

And not just any Murphy end on that SSW car. It looks like a 7/2/7. I've never seen an end like that. Or maybe it's even a 7/1/1/7 end.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sat, Jan 2, 2021 10:24 am
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: D&RGW Gondola 70609 (1952)

Lots of interesting stuff in this photo including the hand transfer from the narrow gauge gon to a standard gauge one.  Several oil jobbers.  NSC end on the CN boxcar, Murphy end on the SSW boxcar, etc.

This is one to savor.

Thanks,
Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via groups.io

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Scott

Neat photo!  I wonder if that is some kind of uranium ore from Durango heading up to Grand Junction for refinement.  Could be anything I suppose but they are are not going through all that for sand or gravel.  Maybe gold or silver concentrate I suppose.

Scott McDonald

Ray Hutchison

caption on photograph says "metal material in gondola"... but what is in the first of the narrow gauge gondolas at bottom of photo?

(If I was working that day, and saw a group of narrow gauge brought into the yard with loads of ore, or sand, or whatever, I would have been really ____.)

William Reed

Another scene from Montrose clearly showing the size difference between NG and SG. 454 switching an Auto Box.  I have a model of this box car I'm building in P48 (O scale). 

William
aka drgwk37

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Steve and Barb Hile <shile@...>
Sent: Saturday, January 2, 2021 1:24 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: D&RGW Gondola 70609 (1952)

This is one to savor.

Thanks,

Steve Hile

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Clark Propst

The Bill Welch auto box?  Anyone know how far Bill got with that proposed kit?
Clark Propst

Eric Hansmann

I think Bill had a couple of test castings made. He had shared images of the masters and prototype in a couple of emails a year or two ago. IIRC, he wasn't quite satisfied and was going to add a couple more details.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On 01/03/2021 7:46 AM Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:

The Bill Welch auto box?  Anyone know how far Bill got with that proposed kit?
Clark Propst

Tom Madden

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 08:28 AM, Eric Hansmann wrote:
<!doctype html>
I think Bill had a couple of test castings made. He had shared images of the masters and prototype in a couple of emails a year or two ago. IIRC, he wasn't quite satisfied and was going to add a couple more details.
I think Aaron was working with Bill on those patterns. It definitely wasn't me. Would be both a tribute to Bill and a gift to the hobby if those patterns could be completed by someone with Aaron's skill. 

Tom Madden