Topics

Photo: Eight Boxcars Of Pork And Beans (1960)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Eight Boxcars Of Pork And Beans (1960)

A photo from the Norfolk Southern Corporation:

https://tinyurl.com/yabb4uqs

Click on the photo to enlarge it.

Description"

"...eight boxcars were ready to roll with 11,000 cases of pork and beans at the Stokely-Van Camp plant in Newport, Tennessee, headed to Merchant Distributors in Hickory, North Carolina. A Southern Railway logo on one of the cars was nearly obscured by an advertising banner and an oversized pork and bean can.

At the time, this half-a-million can order was one of the largest ever shipped to an individual customer from the North Carolina canning company."

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

hubert mask

That is a lot of music.

Hubert Mask

On Dec 22, 2020, at 1:58 PM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Eight Boxcars Of Pork And Beans (1960)

A photo from the Norfolk Southern Corporation:

https://tinyurl.com/yabb4uqs

Click on the photo to enlarge it.

Description"

"...eight boxcars were ready to roll with 11,000 cases of pork and beans at the Stokely-Van Camp plant in Newport, Tennessee, headed to Merchant Distributors in Hickory, North Carolina. A Southern Railway logo on one of the cars was nearly obscured by an advertising banner and an oversized pork and bean can.

At the time, this half-a-million can order was one of the largest ever shipped to an individual customer from the North Carolina canning company."

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

O Fenton Wells

Amen Bro

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Jim Betz

  I have always thought that if there is anything to "truth in advertising" they
should have been called "Fat and Beans" - never was enough meat in them
to justify the "Pork" label.  I suspect that all of the meat by-products in the
Van Camps product was the result of some 'trimming the fat' operation
where ever pork was being slaughtered.
                                                                              - Jim

Larry Buell

When I was asst. Road Master out of Topeka, we had a Van Camps facility in Lawrence, Kansas.  It was the number one shipper in Lawrence.

L Buell