Topics

Photo: Embalmed Whale Carrier

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Embalmed Whale Carrier

A 1930 photo from the Northwest Museum of Arts & Culture:

https://ferrisarchives.northwestmuseum.org/Item/Index/9099

A special car.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Also note, strangely, the automobile is hitched to the car via a rope. Someone was having some fun.
--
Ben Sullivan
Brookeville, MD

Edward

Not just the embalmed whale presumably inside the rail car, but what about that automobile?
There seems to be a tow line connecting its back end to the railroad with a whale inside.
Perhaps this photo was arranged by an automobile dealer to advertise on how powerful that new car was?

Ed Bommer

erieblt2

Now that’s a...unique freight car!

On Jun 14, 2020, at 7:46 AM, Edward <edb8381@...> wrote:

Not just the embalmed whale presumably inside the rail car, but what about that automobile?
There seems to be a tow line connecting its back end to the railroad with a whale inside.
Perhaps this photo was arranged by an automobile dealer to advertise on how powerful that new car was?

Ed Bommer

Tony Thompson

      Anybody wanna model this? Could be a Shake 'n' Take . . .

Tony Thompson

Richard Townsend

Decals. Decals are always the problem.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

      Anybody wanna model this? Could be a Shake 'n' Take . . .

Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson

Decals. Decals are always the problem.

   There are alway ways to get decals produced. Modeling the interior of this load will be the challenge <g>.

Tony Thompson

Todd Sullivan

Ed Bommer said,

"Not just the embalmed whale presumably inside the rail car, but what about that automobile?
There seems to be a tow line connecting its back end to the railroad with a whale inside.
Perhaps this photo was arranged by an automobile dealer to advertise on how powerful that new car was?"

Or maybe he was offering a whale of a deal.

Todd Sullivan

Todd Sullivan

And the odor.  I guess you'd have to come up with essences of either embalming fluid or decomposing whale to provide in the kit.  Phew!

Todd Sullivan

Schuyler Larrabee

Whale not included.

Schuyler

      Anybody wanna model this? Could be a Shake 'n' Take . . .

Tony Thompson

Schuyler Larrabee

Observe how this special car was provided with just the right number of panels to accept the word “TRANSCONTINENTAL.”

Schuyler

A 1930 photo from the Northwest Museum of Arts & Culture:

https://ferrisarchives.northwestmuseum.org/Item/Index/9099

A special car.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Steven D Johnson

I remember going to see one of these embalmed whales, which was housed in a specially-made semi trailer.  That was in the 1960s in my hometown of Hopkinsville, KY.  It was in the parking lot of a shopping center, next to a small carnival with rides. I don’t recall any odor, but it’s been a while ago…

Steve Johnson

Nashville, TN

Oregonian, April 13, 1930

WHALE IS TO MOVE ON

Car With Embalmed Mammal to Leave Portland Monday.

The embalmed whale on exhibition at the North Bank station, Tenth and Hoyt streets, will leave Portland at noon tomorrow to complete a transcontinental tour, it was announced yesterday. Interested crowds have been inspecting the big marine mammal during its stay here. Entire classes of several schools have passed around the glass and steel housing under which the 65-ton creature lies on display and listened to the lecture by Captain Harry S. White.

The 130 pupils of the school for the deaf at Vancouver inspected the whale Friday, and instructors translated the lecture into the sign language for-the deaf.               .

The whale being exhibited is of the baleen or whalebone variety and it is so placed that the function of the whalebone in the mouth is apparent.

Bruce Smith

Steve, Folks,

It turns out that embalming whales and then touring with them was a repeated attraction over many years.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

I remember going to see one of these embalmed whales, which was housed in a specially-made semi trailer.  That was in the 1960s in my hometown of Hopkinsville, KY.  It was in the parking lot of a shopping center, next to a small carnival with rides. I don’t recall any odor, but it’s been a while ago…

Steve Johnson

Nashville, TN

And the odor.  I guess you'd have to come up with essences of either embalming fluid or decomposing whale to provide in the kit.  Phew!

Todd Sullivan

erieblt2

The South Brooklyn Railway hauled(or attempted to haul) an embalmed whale to the Coney Island Aquarium. See ‘Uptown, Downtown’, by Fischer.

Oregonian, April 13, 1930

WHALE IS TO MOVE ON

Car With Embalmed Mammal to Leave Portland Monday.

The embalmed whale on exhibition at the North Bank station, Tenth and Hoyt streets, will leave Portland at noon tomorrow to complete a transcontinental tour, it was announced yesterday. Interested crowds have been inspecting the big marine mammal during its stay here. Entire classes of several schools have passed around the glass and steel housing under which the 65-ton creature lies on display and listened to the lecture by Captain Harry S. White.

The 130 pupils of the school for the deaf at Vancouver inspected the whale Friday, and instructors translated the lecture into the sign language for-the deaf.               .

The whale being exhibited is of the baleen or whalebone variety and it is so placed that the function of the whalebone in the mouth is apparent.

Peter Weiglin

True enough.  Comedian Herb Shriner, whose humor was based upon his small-town upbringing, said,
"We haven't had so much excitement around here since that feller come through town with a dead whale on a flat car."

Shrine also said, "We had a newspaper in my town, but nobody read it; we knew what everybody was doing.
Well, we bought the paper occasionally, to see if they had been caught at it."

Peter Weiglin

Dave Nelson

Sounds interesting.  How much whale will the kit  include?

Dave Nelson