Topics

Photo: End-Loading Poultry Car

Bob Chaparro

Photo: End-Loading Poultry Car

It's the first photo in this group from a John Wubbel post in O-Scale Trains Magazine:

http://oscalemag.com/wordpress/ost-forums/ost-2-rail-forums-group2/prototype-modeling-forum6/old-weedy-buys-stock-from-hicks-thread1112.3/

Click on the photo to enlarge it.

John commented, "In my research, it is difficult to come across photos of loading rail cars and the photo below show a poultry car with the ability to load from the ends. The Hicks Car that CGW had during this time period of 1907 I have not seen ends designed for loading the Hicks Cars in that manner. That is not to say they did not exist, I just have not run across any of this time period from Hicks that CGW purchased.

The second photo is another CGW Hicks Car for further historical reference. This shot was taken on the Hanover Railway which was a 2.5 mile line connecting into the CGW from Hanover, IL. just slightly south west of Elizabeth. I like this photo because it shows a slightly different lettering on the side of the car where the company name was stacked words.

The third photo I think is a 1881 drawing of what I believe is 1st class travel not coach for a cow."

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bob Chaparro

And some comments from Doug Harding, who has some expertise in this area...

I dispute some of John Wubbel’s assumptions. And his commentary shows some of the confusion that exists out there.

The first photo shows poultry car LPTC 467, a standard Live Poultry designed car. The end doors were for ventilation, not for loading. This design had poultry loaded via the center door. The birds were removed from the farmer’s crates, and placed into the built in car crates by hand. There were some early poultry car designs that involved loading the farmer’s crates on to the car, but farmers had a hard time getting their crates back, so the Live Poultry design became the standard by the 1880s.

To my knowledge Hicks never built a poultry car. They did build stockcars, and the CGW did have some Hicks stockcars. I had not seen the photo of the CGW car on the Hanover Railway, but it shows a standard Hicks design.

And the drawing looks more like the interior of a horse car.

Doug  Harding