From: Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...>
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Jul 17, 2021 8:41 am
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Photo: FGEX 10883 (Circa 1948-1952)

Photo: FGEX 10883 (Circa 1948-1952)
Photo from the Milwaukee Public Library:
Use arrows and scroll on photo to enlarge it.
What caught my eye about this photo was that the car’s initials and number were stenciled on a board instead of directly on the car end. Perhaps the end rib design made that necessary.
I saw this before on FGEX 10857.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Richard and List Members,

Also note the 5-5-4 ends. The three horizontal sheets appear to more or less line up with the end seams...

Claus Schlund

What caught my eye was the use of three horizontal sheets for the sides.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Photo from the Milwaukee Public Library:
Use arrows and scroll on photo to enlarge it.
What caught my eye about this photo was that the car’s initials and number were stenciled on a board instead of directly on the car end. Perhaps the end rib design made that necessary.
I saw this before on FGEX 10857.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

David Soderblom

The “board” looks to be welded at the bottom and isn’t wood (or maybe it was sufficient to rivet it at the top edge only).

Potato loading?

David Soderblom
Baltimore MD

--
David Soderblom
Baltimore MD

David Soderblom

I don’t think those are horizontal sheets, just horizontal lines.  Note the vertical rows of rivets, and the lack of an edge horizontally that would be there if they were horizontal sheets.

David Soderblom
Baltimore MD

--
David Soderblom
Baltimore MD

Richard Townsend

I'm going to stick with my original view. I enlarged the photo considerably and I see a line below each of the horizontal rivet rows that seems to be the bottom of the steel sheet. The vertical lines of rivets secure the side sheets to the internal framing structure of the car. On a riveted-side car these would be present regardless of the orientation of the side sheets. What I don't see are any vertical seams that would indicate seams between vertical side sheets.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

I don’t think those are horizontal sheets, just horizontal lines.  Note the vertical rows of rivets, and the lack of an edge horizontally that would be there if they were horizontal sheets.

David Soderblom
Baltimore MD

--
David Soderblom
Baltimore MD
david.soderblom@...

Steve and Barb Hile

Oh how we miss Bill Welch and his FGE research.  I certainly hope those whom he entrusted his files to will complete the challenge and publish his opus.

We can begin to sift some things.  The series 10850 -10999 exists in ORER’s as early as 1938 and is stable at 140 cars through 1944 and then begins to diminish to 131 by 1953.  These are listed as all steel cars.  (there is a table of FGEX all steel reefers in Bill’s wood reefer article shared in several on-line historical/modeling magazines.

So, I would agree with Richard that the sides are three riveted panels that are also riveted to some vertical members.  With the three panel ends, I am drawn to some sort of rebuild situation, perhaps from boxcars and they intended to do 150 and only 140 were actually done.

There is more information out there to be found.

Steve Hile

[...]

Scott

There are side views of this car on Speedwitchs website in Ted's Kitbashing presentation in the download section.  Neat looking car.  Interesting feature is what appears to be a patch panel on the end.  I wonder if the end is recycled from an older boxcar that had one of those little end doors on it.

Scott McDonald

pennsylvania1954

Scott--Can you provide a url to Ted's presentation? I have been all over the Speedwitch site and am missing it. Thanks!
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Scott

It is in the older Kitbashing presentation.

http://speedwitchmedia.com/files/

Scott McDonald

Richard Townsend

I found it in this presentation: http://speedwitchmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/kitbash-03232018.pdf