From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...>
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 1:31 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Fire Truck In A PM Boxcar (1950)

Photo: Fire Truck In A PM Boxcar (1950)

A photo from the California Revealed website:

https://californiarevealed.org/islandora/object/cavpp%3A28492

There appears to be blocking against the truck's wheel.

I assume chains would be used in addition to the blocking?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

akerboomk

Note the end doors on the PM

--
Ken Akerboom

Bruce Smith

Yep, without them it looks kinda tricky to load or unload that fire truck!

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On Aug 18, 2020, at 1:25 PM, akerboomk <ken-akerboom@...> wrote:

Note the end doors on the PM

--
Ken Akerboom

nyc3001 .

I wonder if there is any way to model this car in HO.

-Phil

Kenneth Montero

The Proto 2000 Automobile boxcar may be a good stand-in for a more accurate model. The model had an automobile door on the "A" end, and double doors on each side.

Ken Montero

On 08/18/2020 2:39 PM nyc3001 . <nyc3001@...> wrote:

I wonder if there is any way to model this car in HO.

-Phil

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Brent,

The car on the right appears to be a 40' double-door boxcar with a 14' door opening. That would push the end of the door track to the last side panel and the grab irons. One possibility is Pere Marquette 93000-93999, a group of automobile boxcars built by Ralston in 1936. PM's 93400-93499 of 1941 were similar, though the doors stopped just a few inches to the right of the last panel. Neither of these two PM series had end doors like the 55XXX car on the left. Having two PM cars shipping fire apparatus to the same location is not unlikely, though a car without an end door obviously doesn't contain a fire truck, but might carry auxiliary equipment like additional pump assemblies to retrofit existing equipment.

I'm going through Million and Patons' PERE MARQUETTE REVENUE FREIGHT CARS, and can't find a match for a 40' DD/ED boxcar in the 55XXX series, the car on the left. Some SS/DD cars rebuilt with steel sides from the 89XXX series were renumbered to 55XXX in 1949, but there is no indication here they had end doors. It seems more likely this car is re-numbered from series 90350-92349. PM cars went through a confusing blizzard of renumberings, and it got worse as they were merged into the C&O. A 1950 ORER would help, but mine is 1958 and has no possible candidates.

Anybody else have a match?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 2:06 PM Brent Greer <studegator@...> wrote:
I also like the one coupled to the right of it, with the open sliding door all the way to the end of the car.  I seem to recall Seaboard (?) having some cars configured this way but I cannot identify the owner of this particular car myself.  Anyone else know whose it is?

Brent

Dr. J. Brent Greer

A photo from the California Revealed website:

https://californiarevealed.org/islandora/object/cavpp%3A28492

There appears to be blocking against the truck's wheel.

I assume chains would be used in addition to the blocking?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

mopacfirst

The one on the right is more than likely an MKT car.  This is based on the light colored paint, and the marking on the car appears to be part of an M, and the right size.

Ron Merrick

Todd Sullivan

Hi Garth,

I checked my January 1952 ORER, and none of the 55xxx series of double door boxcars show up as having end doors.  Ditto for the 90350-92349 series, just all DD cars.  The DD cars with end doors were all 52' IL.  Quite puzzling.

Todd Sullivan

Donald B. Valentine

Such a door arrangement would certainly seem to have helped the poor fellows who

had to unload that fire truck, assuming the doors on the opposite side were positioned

in the same way. Before you pointed out the car to the right, Brent, I was thinking that

the only way the fire truck was coming out was with a heavy duty floor jack under the

differential to swing the rear end out while someone was carefully handling the steering

wheel to keep the left front from contacting the opposite inside of the freight car. With

doors in the position of the car to the right I suspect a good driver could have driven it in.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Donald B. Valentine

Ken Akerboom wrote: “Note the end doors on the PM”.

   Thanks for that observation Ken.  You may be correct but I’m not certain given that I can’t see as much in the shadows and cannot find such a car in Million & Paton’s Pere Marquette Revenue Freight Cars book. If there is an

end door that would be the easiest way to unload the firetruck. If not I’ll stick with the heavy duty floor jack under

the differential.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Allan Smith

The 1953 ORER Chesapeake & Ohio Pere Marquette District lists 55600-55694  Box Steel Frame Staggered Doors 40'6"L 9'2"W 10'H 80ooolb  62 cars, No cars in this series are listed in the 1952 ORER. The 1958 ORER lists three 3 cars left in this series.
 Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Saturday, August 22, 2020, 08:24:55 AM PDT, Donald B. Valentine via groups.io <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

Ken Akerboom wrote: “Note the end doors on the PM”.

   Thanks for that observation Ken.  You may be correct but I’m not certain given that I can’t see as much in the shadows and cannot find such a car in Million & Paton’s Pere Marquette Revenue Freight Cars book. If there is an

end door that would be the easiest way to unload the firetruck. If not I’ll stick with the heavy duty floor jack under

the differential.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Robert J Miller CFA

Pressed Steel Car built 500 40’ double door cars with end doors for the PM in 1930. The original number series was 91850 - 92349

[...]

Steve and Barb Hile

Zooming in on the number, it appears likely that it is a renumbering and the most likely candidate is a car from the 91850-92349 series built by Pressed Steel Car company.  In the July 1950 ORER there were only 317 of the 500 cars built with end doors remaining in that series while there had been 492 in 1945, before any cars entered the 55xxx series.  In the PM freight car book it says that the 55xxx series came from the 89350-90249, which were single sheathed auto cars, some of which were completely rebuit.

Steve Hile

Guy Wilber

On Aug 22, 2020, at 8:24 AM, Don Valentine wrote:

Thanks for that observation Ken.  You may be correct but I’m not certain given that I can’t see as much in the shadows and cannot find such a car in Million & Paton’s Pere Marquette in Revenue Freight Cars book. If there is an end door that would be the easiest way to unload the firetruck. If not I’ll stick with the heavy duty floor jack under the differential.”

Ken is correct; There is absolutely no doubt that the car is equipped with end doors.  As for the number; this car was originally in the PM 91850-92349 series.  The car was obviously renumbered into the 55XXX series at some point prior to 1950 IF the photo information is correct.

If one considers both the length and weight of the fire truck there is absolutely no way that fire truck would have been maneuvered through the 12’ wide side doors.  It was driven in through the end and was driven out as well.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada

,_