Topics

Photo: Flat Car Load - Identity Of Items

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Flat Car Load - Identity Of Items

A 1948 photo from the Newberry Library:

http://collections.carli.illinois.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/nby_rrlife/id/845/rec/103

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.

In addition to the tractors there are some other items on the flat car. Are these generators or some other farm equipment items?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dennis Storzek

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 07:13 AM, Bob Chaparro wrote:
In addition to the tractors there are some other items on the flat car. Are these generators or some other farm equipment items?
They look like additional tractor engines on skids; the fuel tank is mounted over the engine and the clutch housing is facing us.

Dennis Storzek

Douglas Harding

Or they are stationary power plants for running water pumps for irrigation or watering livestock.

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020, 9:25 AM Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 07:13 AM, Bob Chaparro wrote:
In addition to the tractors there are some other items on the flat car. Are these generators or some other farm equipment items?
They look like additional tractor engines on skids; the fuel tank is mounted over the engine and the clutch housing is facing us.

Dennis Storzek

Jim Betz

Hi guys,
  The photo is identified as being of cars on a repair track.  Not sure if that is correct or
not - the guy with the portable welding set up could be using it to secure tie downs?
  I like this photo - very much - because it shows so much activity around this cut of
cars.  There are guys working on most of them down the line - but it does not look
like much is happening to the cars on the track to the right.  I also like it because the
date is more 'useful' to me since it is later than the spate of early pictures we've
been seeing lately.  Don't take that as meaning that I don't look at them all - I'm
just saying that I spend more time studying photos from my chosen era.
  There are no less than 6 workers who are focused directly on that flat car!
One of them appears to be sitting in the seat of the one on the far right - but I
guess he could be standing on the deck of the car.- or is that just a hat on top
of something (the one behind the steering wheel).  Speaking of hats I note
that "everybody is wearing a hat" - it was not a balmy day in Galesburg (but
also not cold enough for them to be wearing coats).
                                                                                                                - Jim

John King

Farm equipment companies used to market power units for farm work, etc.   I remember both International and Allis Chalmers tractor engines being used to power carnival rides.   They had the full hood just like the items on the flat cars.

John King

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 07:13 AM, Bob Chaparro wrote:

In addition to the tractors there are some other items on the flat car. Are these generators or some other farm equipment items?

They look like additional tractor engines on skids; the fuel tank is mounted over the engine and the clutch housing is facing us.

Dennis Storzek

Rob & Bev Manley

Bob,
Upon close examination the gondola on the right is a CB&Q rebuild of an USRA GS gondola. I am building one or two of these from IM's kits. These were Mineral Red used in revenue coal service as well as Light Orange for MOW service.
Thanks for your research.

Rob Manley
"Better modeling through personal embarrassment"

On Thursday, July 2, 2020, 11:46:38 AM CDT, Jim Betz <jimbetz@...> wrote:

[...]

Charlie Vlk

Rob-

I don’t think this is a rebuilding any of a CB&Q USRA GS gondola.

While it is true that their own 40’ composite gondolas were similar and may have been inspired by some of the features of the USRA cars, I do not believe that they were to resemble the Q design cars.

The car in question looks like a GS -8 class car which is having the very lower part of the diagonals replaced where they connect to the vertical members (probably due to having rusted out).   The USRA have verticals extend a small amount beyond the side sill and both verticals and diagonals are directly attached to the frame.   Also note the characteristic GS-8 pulling loop plate in front of the nearest vertical.

Charlie Vlk

[...]

Nelson Moyer

I missed the photo under discussion, but the mod to the USRA GS-15 class was to remove 18 in. from the bottom of the sides on the first few cars, then 15 in. on the rest of those modified. The result was that the V at the bottom side sill was no longer a V, having been truncated. The Walthers model is a pretty good version of the original GS-15, but it would have to be modified for my era, and I haven’t wanted to take a razor saw to it just yet.

Nelson Moyer