Topics

Photo: Freight Cars The Departure Yard At Boston Freight Terminal

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Freight Cars The Departure Yard At Boston Freight Terminal

A Donald Haskel photo taken in August 1960:

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/305071/

A good variety of cars and roads.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tim O'Connor

Sweet. Notice the nearly hidden Canadian Pacific wood reefer seen above and behind
the gondola coupled to the PFE reefer in the foreground.

I'd like to know what that green tank car is.

Tim O'Connor

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

mel perry

couple of ss boxcars, apparently in inhouse service as all dims and weight
remarks all removed, and appears that
both had repairs to the same spot.on
both.cars, just to the left of the door,
can't remember that being a weak
structural spot in the ss design?

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020, 8:17 AM Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: Freight Cars The Departure Yard At Boston Freight Terminal

A Donald Haskel photo taken in August 1960:

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/305071/

A good variety of cars and roads.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Schuyler Larrabee

I don’t think those are “repairs.”  And at that distance and the age of the cars, dimensions and weight information may be there, faded, but not visible.

Schuyler

couple of ss boxcars, apparently in inhouse service as all dims and weight

remarks all removed, and appears that

both had repairs to the same spot.on

both.cars, just to the left of the door,

can't remember that being a weak

structural spot in the ss design?

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020, 8:17 AM Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: Freight Cars The Departure Yard At Boston Freight Terminal

A Donald Haskel photo taken in August 1960:

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/305071/

A good variety of cars and roads.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Ken Adams

And the side deformation on that gondola.

Tim O'Connor

It looks like fresh unpainted wood i.e. "patches" to me, Schuyler. I do not recognize
the cars at all. They don't look like anything that I know of from the New Haven. I'm
curious if anyone can figure out what they are. But I agree the photo scan is so poor
that nothing can be inferred about the lettering.

Tim O'Connor

On 2/25/2020 12:32 PM, Schuyler Larrabee via Groups.Io wrote:

I don’t think those are “repairs.”  And at that distance and the age of the cars, dimensions and weight information may be there, faded, but not visible.

Schuyler

couple of ss boxcars, apparently in inhouse service as all dims and weight

remarks all removed, and appears that

both had repairs to the same spot.on

both.cars, just to the left of the door,

can't remember that being a weak

structural spot in the ss design?

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020, 8:17 AM Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: Freight Cars The Departure Yard At Boston Freight Terminal

A Donald Haskel photo taken in August 1960:

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/305071/

A good variety of cars and roads.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts

Schuyler Larrabee

Agreed it’s a patch, but I think it’s a painted patch, painting out something, like a “return to” notice.  It’s a bit too ragged to be a carpenter’s parch.

Schuyler

couple of ss boxcars, apparently in inhouse service as all dims and weight

remarks all removed, and appears that

both had repairs to the same spot.on

both.cars, just to the left of the door,

can't remember that being a weak

structural spot in the ss design?

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020, 8:17 AM Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: Freight Cars The Departure Yard At Boston Freight Terminal

A Donald Haskel photo taken in August 1960:

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/305071/

A good variety of cars and roads.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts

Peter Ness

Those are all in service cars my friends. Those are not the RIP tracks in South Boston Freight Terminal. Look over by the brick smokestack and sand tower to see two switchers – the S-1 is working and smoking, the HH660 probably idling. Now, since Boston was a terminal, there is no telling how long the foreign road cars lingered before returning home.

There are three NH box cars in the photo;

McGinnis scheme (black with large “NH”) behind the Superior reefer

Script herald (BCR, very faded lettering) coupled to the right of the Superior reefer

The storage car that is on the ground to the right of the script herald car and to the left of the RI box car.

Notice there is a phone pole directly behind the script herald boxcar described above.

The storage car is one of the NHs old boxes, possibly 70200 series (I have a photo of NH 70218) which were rebuilt in 1935 with steel underframes from earlier NH 170000-170999-series 30-ton box cars.

The 40’ steel boxcars arrived beginning 1942 but there were still over 120 wood box cars in service in Sept 1948.  Beginning post-war many of the wood cars were converted to non-revenue service, which is the fate of the car in this photo. A white “NH” is visible above the “W-series” work car number.  Some cars were grounded and used for storage which appears to be the fate of this car. The yellow visible on the side is a patch of paint only so a black lettered stencil could be applied. This could have been applied while the car was still on trucks or not.  Could have said anything from “sand service only” to “property of mechanical dept.”

Peter Ness

Agreed it’s a patch, but I think it’s a painted patch, painting out something, like a “return to” notice.  It’s a bit too ragged to be a carpenter’s parch.

Schuyler

couple of ss boxcars, apparently in inhouse service as all dims and weight

remarks all removed, and appears that

both had repairs to the same spot.on

both.cars, just to the left of the door,

can't remember that being a weak

structural spot in the ss design?

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020, 8:17 AM Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: Freight Cars The Departure Yard At Boston Freight Terminal

A Donald Haskel photo taken in August 1960:

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/305071/

A good variety of cars and roads.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts

rwitt_2000

I see a lone B&O AAR triple hopper, just below the power plant chimney. Probably a single load to a coal yard of some type of specialized coal.

Bob Witt

Interesting to note most roofs where painted and still had paint on them.

Gordon Spalty

Tim O'Connor

Peter,

Why do you think 1948 is relevant? The color photo of south Boston was taken in the late
1950's (a previous source I have says the date is August 1960).

The Rock Island box car was built in 1952, and it is weathered and has a lube stencil patch.
The B&O billboard letters were introduced in the early 1950's (after 1951, for sure). The MEC
box car green paint is from the 1950's and the Cotton Belt double door box car was rebuilt in
1954.

By 1959 the New Haven rostered ZERO wood sheathed box cars, according to the ORER.

Tim O'Connor

On 2/25/2020 2:34 PM, Peter Ness wrote:

[...]

Randy Hammill

I certainly don't question the late date.

Those are definitely NH single sheathed box cars, I'm not sure any other road had a single sheathed box car with a Howe truss and that reverse diagonal in the end panels. They were rebuilt from double sheathed cars in the late '20s (although New Haven records list them as new), and they were in non-revenue service by this time, thus not listed in the ORER.

Based on NH documents, these are the single sheathed cars I can confirm still in work service through at least April 1962:

W-1209, 1211, and 1232 (assigned Cedar Hill)
W-1233, 1535, 1536 (assigned Boston)
W-1547 (assigned East Walpole, sold 6/14/60)

There might be a few others, but the majority of the cars appear to have been condemned in the 1956-9 period, after about a decade in work service.

Randy
--

Randy Hammill
Prototype Junction

Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954
http://newbritainstation.com

Randy Hammill

A few more NH single sheathed box cars still in work service through at least 4/62:

T-80, 83 (assigned Maybrook)
T-81 (Oak Point)
T-85 (Cedar Hill)
T-89 (Providence)
T-90, 91, 93 (Boston)

Randy
--

Randy Hammill
Prototype Junction
http://prototypejunction.com

Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954
http://newbritainstation.com

Schleigh Mike

Tim & Group----

The Movie "It Happened to Jane," released in 1959 featured a New Haven SS boxcar, very likely off the roster for revenue but, still extant.

Regards from Grove City, wet and cooling down in western Penna.---Mike Schleigh

On Wednesday, February 26, 2020, 11:45:32 AM EST, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Tim,

I probably misread one of the earlier posts where I thought there was a comment that someone was not familiar with s.s. cars on the New Haven, and was trying to provide some background about this history of those cars.

Peter Ness

[...]

Tim and Group,

To make the stenciling more specific, the B&O hopper in the photo has the Billboard "B&O" with a small ampersand which places it in the mid-1950s introduced in 1956 lasting to 1957. The next iteration eliminated the lines above and below the reporting marks and the initials and numbers were 9" high. This one was in effect from 1957 to 1962 when the C&O took control.

Bob Witt

rwitt_2000

I wanted to include Chris Barkan's stencil diagrams for hopper cars.

Bob Witt

Donald B. Valentine

To Bob Witt, Thanks so much for posting Chris Barkan's sheet on B&O hopper lettering diagrams
and thanks to Chris fr developing it. For whatever reason in northern Vermont we seemed to see
more B&O hoppers in the post war era than hoppers from any other road, On the way back from
Montreal late yesterday afternoon I had an opportunity to visit with fellow list member Armand Premo
before continuing homeward and these very cars were one subject of discussion. We know, for
example, that most of the coal burned by the Central Vermont arrived in B&O hoppers. Wjile we do
not know where it originated we think it must have come across NY Harbor on car floats to the New
Haven at Oak Point for delivery to the CV at New London but are not certain of that. Likewise B&O
hoppers were quite common on the Rutland as we know from switch list that Armand has had for
most of the fifty years we have known each other. Thus it is good to have something as definitive '
as the sheet Chris has put together and shared with us all to be sure such cars are lettered
appropriately for our time frame.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Eric Lombard

Hello, Folks...
Attached is a spreadsheet in which the 25,000 New Haven wood-sheathed, steel underframe cars built 1902-1912 are documented. They were all retired from service by 10-1950. There is a lot here to keep your eyeballs busy and which also corrects some misconceptions about renumbering and construction (like the history of the SS cars). The spreadsheet was constructed in service to my work on a database of all the box cars built 1-1910 through 12-1944.

Eric,
Homewood, IL

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 11:35 AM Randy Hammill <nhrr@...> wrote:
[...]

Fantastic info. Thanks.

To clarify, they were all out of interchange service by that date. More than 100 (maybe 200+, I haven’t really compiled the info as it’s past me era of interest) were still in non-revenue service, although it appears the bulk of those were sold/scrapped c1956.

 Randy