Topics

Photo: Gas Storage Tank On Boston & Maine Flat Car (1920)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Gas Storage Tank On Boston & Maine Flat Car (1920)

A photo from the Hagley Digital Archives:

https://digital.hagley.org/72360_0654?solr_nav%5Bid%5D=d166fd3d618911c491a7&solr_nav%5Bpage%5D=1&solr_nav%5Boffset%5D=8

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Notice the blocking.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dave Parker

We discussed this photo at some length four years ago -- see message 144771.

The B&M had 6 of these 60-ft, 30-ton flat cars in 1919.  Down to one by 6/27, gone by 7/28.

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

akerboomk

I would suggest that is a Boston & Albany RR flat

(Framingham is on the B&A)

--
Ken Akerboom

Thomas Evans

It looks like these 60' B&M flatcars date back to at least 1901 (but probably not 1897) according to the on-line ORER/OREG's,
however they are mixed in with a number of shorter "special flat cars,' so we don't know how many there were nor their specific numbers at that time.

Tom E.

akerboomk

More info on these flats can be found here:

            https://www.bmrrhs.org/flat_32000_series/

For the 32060-32065 specifically, see the table “Individual / small group listings (including dimensions) 32040-32099”

Ken

--
Ken Akerboom

ROGER HINMAN

if you go to the B&MRHS site under on line Archives, they’ve recently added copies of car acquisition books for that time period; they show these series of flat cars as acquired by the B&M in 1901 from the Fitchburg RR which they absorbed and the FRR built these in the late 1890s.

Roger Hinman