Topics

Photo: GATX 31197 & 54877 At DuPont Plant (1940)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: GATX 31197 & 54877 At DuPont Plant (1940)

A photo from the Hagley Digital Archives:

https://digital.hagley.org/1972341_0564?solr_nav%5Bid%5D=4548b74fa792245fab1b&solr_nav%5Bpage%5D=1&solr_nav%5Boffset%5D=23

Scroll on the postcard to enlarge it.

Caption:

Tank cars are loaded with hydrogen peroxide at the DuPont Company's plant near Memphis TN. Structure in left background is hydrogen peroxide manufacturing unit which uses a new non electrolytic process developed by DuPont research. One of plant's 250,000 pound aluminum peroxide storage tanks is at left and drum filling station and warehouse at right. Southern textile and paper mills use large quantities of hydrogen peroxide for bleaching.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tangent Scale Models

Bob,

This is a great link, thank you for sharing it.  I know this is not your doing, but the 1940 date however is incorrect.  The 10,000 gallon tank on the right was likely built in late 1951 or 1952.  That car is typical of construction for hydrogen peroxide tanks built that same year - welded underframe, safety manway above the tank.  Because the tank is fresh, 1951/1952 would be the earliest date for that photo.

Best wishes,

David Lehlbach

David Wiggs

Notice the picture caption says Hydrogen Cyanide.  Seriously doubt that since the guy on the tanker has no respiratory protection.  It was a hydrogen cyanide disaster at a Union Carbide plant that killed a bunch of people in Boupol, India in the 80s (?).

Steve Summers

No, that was Methyl Isocyanate in Bophal.  Nevertheless Hydrogen Cyanide is nasty.

On Sep 29, 2020, at 12:11 PM, David Wiggs <bigwiggs@...> wrote:

Notice the picture caption says Hydrogen Cyanide.  Seriously doubt that since the guy on the tanker has no respiratory protection.  It was a hydrogen cyanide disaster at a Union Carbide plant that killed a bunch of people in Boupol, India in the 80s (?).

charlie9

The plant on the ICRR at Memphis did produce hydrogen cyanide.  The plant was located at Woodstock where the passenger and freight mains split just North of Memphis.  In later years that product was shipped in distinctive cream colored tank cars with red stripes.  I remember seeing big placard signs on the cars that pretty much said "if you can smell this, you are already dead."

I wonder what cars were used for Hydrogen Cyanide shipments in the steam era.  Anybody know or have any photos?  I am too young to remember what cars they were using back then.

Charlie Schildt (grouchy German)

David Wiggs

I stand corrected.  A faulty memory to be sure.  A lady at Habley responded to my question and corrected the picture caption, but said, there was/is a hydrogen cyanide plant at that Dupont plant in Memphis.  She also said the company is now under another name.

davo in Orlando