Topics

Photo: Gondola At Lumber Yard (Circa 1920s-1930s)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Gondola At Lumber Yard (Circa 1920s-1930s)

A photo from University of Utah Library:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6cv5566

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.

I don't think this is a Colorado & Southern Railway gondola as the reporting marks are suspect.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Richard Townsend

Definitely not Colorado & Southern.

On Sep 5, 2020, at 8:28 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Gondola At Lumber Yard (Circa 1920s-1930s)

A photo from University of Utah Library:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6cv5566

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.

I don't think this is a Colorado & Southern Railway gondola as the reporting marks are suspect.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Bob,

Carnegie Steel Co. A car with similar lettering is shown in the 1931 CBC, page 239, or in Gregg Reprint No. 46.

No, this isn't a lumber yard. It is a steel stock yard, though I'm not sure whether it is the shipping point or the destination.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sep 5, 2020, at 8:28 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: Gondola At Lumber Yard (Circa 1920s-1930s)

A photo from University of Utah Library:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6cv5566

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.

I don't think this is a Colorado & Southern Railway gondola as the reporting marks are suspect.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Kenneth Montero

Carnegie Steel Co.

If I recall correctly, a different car with the same reporting marks previously appeared within the last few days.

Ken Montero

On 09/05/2020 11:28 AM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Gondola At Lumber Yard (Circa 1920s-1930s)

A photo from University of Utah Library:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6cv5566

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.

I don't think this is a Colorado & Southern Railway gondola as the reporting marks are suspect.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

tbarney2004

Can't make out the lettering at the far end of the car, but per the reporting marks list from pwrr.org, CS should be Colorado Southern.  A close possibility may be:

CSCD	   CASCADE & COLUMBIA RIVER RAILROAD CO.

The only other close marks (the first 3 letters same) per that list is CSCX which would be an obvious difference.  The shape of letters D and O in the font used would be partly similar but still should be different enough to distinguish.  Thoughts?

Tim Barney

Photo: Gondola At Lumber Yard (Circa 1920s-1930s)

A photo from University of Utah Library:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6cv5566

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.

I don't think this is a Colorado & Southern Railway gondola as the reporting marks are suspect.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bruce Smith

Sheesh! The EXACT SAME photo was posted in early May by Claus Schlund. The reporting marks are CSCO, not CSCD, and not CSCX.

To repeat, both Garth, and the previous discussion, this car, CSCO 534, is owned by Carnegie Steel.

I suggest that the entire thread be deleted as Bob's original posting repeated Claus'

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Todd Sullivan

That's a pretty loooong gondola.  Try Carnegie Steel Company (C.S.CO.).

Todd Sullivan.