Photo: Gondola & Flat Car (Circa 1940s)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Gondola & Flat Car (Circa 1940s)

Photo from the Indiana Historical Society:

https://images.indianahistory.org/digital/collection/p16797coll35/id/1740/rec/48

Click on the arrows and scroll to enlarge.

While the main subject of this photo is the delivery of ice to a Monon train, notice the gondola with a spiral end discussed here before and a flat car with a possible granite or other stone load.

Another example of the spiral end:

http://monon.org/bygone_site/mines/CIL33149LittleBettyLinton-0001.jpg

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Jeffrey Gray

On the Monon gondola. That end is interesting. I would think that a pattern like that for the press die would be expensive to make. And then on a Composite car too?

Photo from the Indiana Historical Society:

https://images.indianahistory.org/digital/collection/p16797coll35/id/1740/rec/48

Click on the arrows and scroll to enlarge.

While the main subject of this photo is the delivery of ice to a Monon train, notice the gondola with a spiral end discussed here before and a flat car with a possible granite or other stone load.

Another example of the spiral end:

http://monon.org/bygone_site/mines/CIL33149LittleBettyLinton-0001.jpg

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Jeff and Friends,

Here is a similar end on a Sierra MW car. Note the difference though; this one does not spiral but instead has concentric ovals. I've also included a view of the very interesting brake wheel. Sorry this can't be sharper.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 11:45 AM Jeffrey Gray <bigsix@...> wrote:
On the Monon gondola. That end is interesting. I would think that a pattern like that for the press die would be expensive to make. And then on a Composite car too?

Photo from the Indiana Historical Society:

https://images.indianahistory.org/digital/collection/p16797coll35/id/1740/rec/48

Click on the arrows and scroll to enlarge.

While the main subject of this photo is the delivery of ice to a Monon train, notice the gondola with a spiral end discussed here before and a flat car with a possible granite or other stone load.

Another example of the spiral end:

http://monon.org/bygone_site/mines/CIL33149LittleBettyLinton-0001.jpg

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 08:45 AM, Jeffrey Gray wrote:
On the Monon gondola. That end is interesting. I would think that a pattern like that for the press die would be expensive to make. And then on a Composite car too?
No more expensive than any of the Dreadnaught variations that came after. I suspect this was a Haskell & Barker proprietary design... All three orders of cars on which it was used were built by H&B, and when I was organizing H&B drawings at the Pullman Library, there were more detailed drawings of the pressing than was normal. I also suspect that the main design intent was patent avoidance. The Murphy patent claimed "tapered ribs" and had been upheld in court, thus driving both Van Dorn and Hutchins out of the car end business. This end has ribs, but they can hardly be said to be tapered.

Dennis Storzek

Jeffrey Gray

Thank you, an interesting explaination.

[...]

These spiral ends are available on Shapeways, see:

Monon Spiral Gondola End-HO Scale (VFHH88RYT) by MononInMonon (shapeways.com)

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

Jeffrey Gray

Mike, thank for this good tip. We could have entire thread just on Shapeway stuff!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10