Photo help for GATX 6 radial course tank car

Lester Breuer

I am working on a Southern Car & Foundry 6 radial course tank car with decals for a GATX tank car.  In looking for a photo I could only fine two photos in Hile’s UTLX tank car book.  From my hunt I believe these were not a common tank car.
 Asking if anyone can direct me to a photo of a 6 radial course tank car lettered for GATX.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Lester Breuer

Allan Smith

There is a photo of a five course GATX tank car in the November 1991 Mainline Modeler. Taken May 5 1991 at Rio Vista CA. Lettering is pretty generic.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On Monday, August 22, 2022 at 07:16:00 PM PDT, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:

I am working on a Southern Car & Foundry 6 radial course tank car with decals for a GATX tank car.  In looking for a photo I could only fine two photos in Hile’s UTLX tank car book.  From my hunt I believe these were not a common tank car.
 Asking if anyone can direct me to a photo of a 6 radial course tank car lettered for GATX.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Lester Breuer

Bruce Smith

Lester, Al,

I was puzzled by the initial question and the response. The kit builds an 8K gallon, 6 radial course tank car, as built by the Standard Tank Car company and owned by General American Tank Car corp. I’m not sure why (Lester) you would think that you might find photos of it in the UTLX book, since it was neither built by UTLX, nor owned by them. I’m also pretty sure that the car in question in MM is a GATC built, GATX owned car, so again, I’m not quite sure of the relevance to the model in question.

So, let’s back up a step and ask why are you looking for photos? Is it to identify specific details? Or other car numbers in the series?

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Allan Smith <smithal9@...>
Date: Monday, August 22, 2022 at 11:25 PM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo help for GATX 6 radial course tank car

There is a photo of a five course GATX tank car in the November 1991 Mainline Modeler. Taken May 5 1991 at Rio Vista CA. Lettering is pretty generic.

Al Smith

Sonora CA

On Monday, August 22, 2022 at 07:16:00 PM PDT, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:

I am working on a Southern Car & Foundry 6 radial course tank car with decals for a GATX tank car.  In looking for a photo I could only fine two photos in Hile’s UTLX tank car book.  From my hunt I believe these were not a common tank car.
 Asking if anyone can direct me to a photo of a 6 radial course tank car lettered for GATX.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Lester Breuer

Steve and Barb Hile

In fact, there are two pictures of 6 radial course tank cars in the UTLX book.  See pages 138 and 139.  They became UTLX cars via the acquisition of the Pure Oil fleet, but are shown in their earlier paint.

I think that SC&F provided GATX decals with the kit and Lester has been looking for a photo to confirm their usage during his operating time.  It would appear that the six course tank was relatively rare, but I suspect that Jon Cagle (SC&F) had assurance, probably from the late Richard Hendrickson, that such a GATX car existed.

I would have loved to include a photo of one of those cars painted for UTLX in the book, but nothing showed up.

Steve

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Allan Smith <smithal9@...>
Date: Monday, August 22, 2022 at 11:25 PM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

There is a photo of a five course GATX tank car in the November 1991 Mainline Modeler. Taken May 5 1991 at Rio Vista CA. Lettering is pretty generic.

Al Smith

Sonora CA

On Monday, August 22, 2022 at 07:16:00 PM PDT, Lester Breuer <rforailroad@...> wrote:

I am working on a Southern Car & Foundry 6 radial course tank car with decals for a GATX tank car.  In looking for a photo I could only fine two photos in Hile’s UTLX tank car book.  From my hunt I believe these were not a common tank car.
 Asking if anyone can direct me to a photo of a 6 radial course tank car lettered for GATX.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Lester Breuer

Tim O'Connor

Here are two GATX tanks built by STC -- pretty generic, indeed :-)

On 8/24/2022 9:24 AM, Bruce Smith wrote:

Lester, Al,

I was puzzled by the initial question and the response. The kit builds an 8K gallon, 6 radial course tank car, as built by the Standard Tank Car company and owned by General American Tank Car corp. I’m not sure why (Lester) you would think that you might find photos of it in the UTLX book, since it was neither built by UTLX, nor owned by them. I’m also pretty sure that the car in question in MM is a GATC built, GATX owned car, so again, I’m not quite sure of the relevance to the model in question.

So, let’s back up a step and ask why are you looking for photos? Is it to identify specific details? Or other car numbers in the series?

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Sterling, Massachusetts

Dave Parker

Lester:

Maybe I'm being skeptical, but I think if there was any evidence for those early Standard Car (Tank) Company cars running in GATX livery, it would have surfaced by now.  I certainly haven't seen any, and I collect photos of early tank cars as avidly as anything.

This is another case where I prefer to find a prototype that matches the model, and then see if the car owner makes sense for me.  I have the same SC&F kit, and I plan to use to model a car in the Gulf (GRCX) 2100-2199 series.  I have a photo of GRCX 2162 in about 1947 (based on the pressure test dates) that shows a 10-17 build date, and the car appears consistently in both the 1919 and 1936 tariffs (I have not checked the 1955).  By 1947, it had a very plain-Jane scheme that looks very much like that of a GATX car.  Back in the early 1930s when I model, a more colorful scheme involving the Gulf logo seems equally likely.  The model needs some tweaks to match the Gulf prototype exactly, but they do not seem to involve major surgery.

YMMV, but I hope this helps.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA