Topics

Photo: HERX (Hershey) Insulated Boxcar Or Reefer (1960)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: HERX (Hershey) Insulated Boxcar Or Reefer (1960)

A photo from the Cornell University Digital Collections:

https://library.artstor.org/#/asset/SS7731920_7731920_12131678;prevRouteTS=1601223980809

This is a partial view of the car and it is reversed.

What is known about the Hershey fleet up to this date?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Eric Hansmann

I don’t have any data on the evolving Hershey house car fleet. I did see this 1935 image recently that features a starkly different looking Hershey car in a Pittsburgh team yard.

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A715.3525839.CP

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Photo: HERX (Hershey) Insulated Boxcar Or Reefer (1960)

A photo from the Cornell University Digital Collections:

https://library.artstor.org/#/asset/SS7731920_7731920_12131678;prevRouteTS=1601223980809

This is a partial view of the car and it is reversed.

What is known about the Hershey fleet up to this date?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Schuyler Larrabee

Erie (or anyone) can you read a car number on that image?

Schuyler

Photo: HERX (Hershey) Insulated Boxcar Or Reefer (1960)

A photo from the Cornell University Digital Collections:

https://library.artstor.org/#/asset/SS7731920_7731920_12131678;prevRouteTS=1601223980809

This is a partial view of the car and it is reversed.

What is known about the Hershey fleet up to this date?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Eric Hansmann

Schuyler,

I played around with the image in Photoshop but was unable to determine a car number. The first letter in the reporting marks seems to be a G, so it might be a GARX car.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Erie (or anyone) can you read a car number on that image?

Schuyler

Photo: HERX (Hershey) Insulated Boxcar Or Reefer (1960)

A photo from the Cornell University Digital Collections:

https://library.artstor.org/#/asset/SS7731920_7731920_12131678;prevRouteTS=1601223980809

This is a partial view of the car and it is reversed.

What is known about the Hershey fleet up to this date?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

O Fenton Wells

No but my mouth is watering
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Eric Hansmann

Attached is the adjusted image.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

Erie (or anyone) can you read a car number on that image?

Schuyler

Photo: HERX (Hershey) Insulated Boxcar Or Reefer (1960)

A photo from the Cornell University Digital Collections:

https://library.artstor.org/#/asset/SS7731920_7731920_12131678;prevRouteTS=1601223980809

This is a partial view of the car and it is reversed.

What is known about the Hershey fleet up to this date?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Bob and friends,

Well . . . the Hershey car is a lot easier to see if you flip it because Artstore has presented it backwards (see attached). The car (HERX 2215) was leased from North American and came from series 2124-2239. It was an RB bunkerless refrigerator built in 1960, with 8' doors and roller bearing trucks. Like many North American cars, the color was orange.

There is a photo of sister car HERX 2205 on page 57 of John Henderson's CLASSIC FREIGHT CARS, THE SERIES, VOL. 3. This photo was taken in 1976, and shows that a Hershey Foods banner had been added to the right of the door where the small assignment letter is on 2215. It was from this photo that I was able to glean the information on HERX 2215.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 12:50 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: HERX (Hershey) Insulated Boxcar Or Reefer (1960)

A photo from the Cornell University Digital Collections:

https://library.artstor.org/#/asset/SS7731920_7731920_12131678;prevRouteTS=1601223980809

This is a partial view of the car and it is reversed.

What is known about the Hershey fleet up to this date?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Jerry Breon

Attached (hopefully) is my build of Westerfield kit #6706 from several years ago.
Jerry Breon
Mooresville, NC