From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via groups.io
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2020 12:41 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Photo: IC Boxcar 340844 & Others

Photo: IC Boxcar 340844 & Others

A 1932 photo from the Louisiana Digital Library:

https://louisianadigitallibrary.org/islandora/object/ulm-p120701coll10%3A200

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit. Click on the photo and scroll.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

mel perry

boxcar refugees?, was this term something common in louisianna?
it obviously had somethin to.do with
their scoio/economic status, but what
was the term derived from?
thanks
mel perry

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020, 10:41 AM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: IC Boxcar 340844 & Others

A 1932 photo from the Louisiana Digital Library:

https://louisianadigitallibrary.org/islandora/object/ulm-p120701coll10%3A200

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit. Click on the photo and scroll.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bruce Smith

Mel,

My interpretation was that boxcars were being used to house refugees from the flood.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

boxcar refugees?, was this term something common in louisianna?
it obviously had somethin to.do with
their scoio/economic status, but what
was the term derived from?
thanks
mel perry

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020, 10:41 AM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: IC Boxcar 340844 & Others

A 1932 photo from the Louisiana Digital Library:

https://louisianadigitallibrary.org/islandora/object/ulm-p120701coll10%3A200

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit. Click on the photo and scroll.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 01:39 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:

My interpretation was that boxcars were being used to house refugees from the flood.
I agree. I seem to recall the IC was called upon to provide boxcars for temporary housing for several of the bad floods in the early part of the twentieth century.

Dennis Storzek

gary laakso

Herbert Clark Hoover, while serving as Secretary of Commerce, was dispatched to Louisiana by President Coolidge to make sure that federal relief money went to the victims, not the grafters.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

boxcar refugees?, was this term something common in louisianna?

it obviously had somethin to.do with

their scoio/economic status, but what

was the term derived from?

thanks

mel perry

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020, 10:41 AM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: IC Boxcar 340844 & Others

A 1932 photo from the Louisiana Digital Library:

https://louisianadigitallibrary.org/islandora/object/ulm-p120701coll10%3A200

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit. Click on the photo and scroll.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bob Chaparro

There are additional photos on the website showing temporary housing in freight cars due to the flooding.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA