From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via groups.io
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2020 10:43 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Photo: IC Drop-Bottom Gondola Interior

Photo: IC Drop-Bottom Gondola Interior

An undated photo from the Louisiana Digital Library:

https://louisianadigitallibrary.org/islandora/object/hnoc-clf%3A5198

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit. Click on the photo and scroll.

Some of the doors appear damaged.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tony Thompson

Bob Chaparro wrote:

Photo: IC Drop-Bottom Gondola Interior

An undated photo from the Louisiana Digital Library:

https://louisianadigitallibrary.org/islandora/object/hnoc-clf%3A5198

    I love the battered drop doors. Does anyone model this?

Tony Thompson

akerboomk

Don’t forget the ventilated L&N (and C of G) boxes to the right

--
Ken Akerboom

Donald B. Valentine

Caught those too, Ken. The L&N vent. surprised me as I'd never seen any from that road before
and now wonder how common they were.

My best, Don Valentine

Ray Breyer

4,347 VMs on the roster in 1930 (5th largest fleet), four still on the roster in 1962.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Tuesday, June 23, 2020, 05:15:41 PM CDT, Donald B. Valentine via groups.io <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

Caught those too, Ken. The L&N vent. surprised me as I'd never seen any from that road before
and now wonder how common they were.

My best, Don Valentine

Eric Hansmann

Here are some L&N ventilated boxcar quantities to fill in a few years in between Ray’s info.

1943 – 2,096 cars

1951 – 992 cars

1953 – 37 cars

I suspect the pending K brake ban of January 1, 1954 affected the fleet numbers after 1950.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

4,347 VMs on the roster in 1930 (5th largest fleet), four still on the roster in 1962.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

O Fenton Wells

Yes Eric it affected the Southern SU boxcars and vent cars as well, Although some of the pulp wood racks made from SU boxcars were upgraded with AB brake systems
Fenton

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 10:20 AM Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

Here are some L&N ventilated boxcar quantities to fill in a few years in between Ray’s info.

1943 – 2,096 cars

1951 – 992 cars

1953 – 37 cars

I suspect the pending K brake ban of January 1, 1954 affected the fleet numbers after 1950.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

4,347 VMs on the roster in 1930 (5th largest fleet), four still on the roster in 1962.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

--
Fenton Wells