Photo: Illinois Central Express Reefer 4840 (Undated)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Illinois Central Express Reefer 4840 (Undated)

Photo from Classic Trains:

https://www.trains.com/ctr/photos-videos/photo-of-the-day/illinois-central-express-reefer/

One of 35 wood-sheathed refrigerator cars IC converted to express service.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Jeffrey White

According to the diagram sheet in the 1952 Passenger car diagram book there were 58 cars in that class numbered between 4652-4840.  Originally built by AC&F in 1925.  There were another 74 of these cars numbered in these series 5653-5848, 6672-6842, 6900-6950.

The latter cars had smooth plywood sides.

Jeff White

Alma IL

On 7/14/2021 11:58 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io wrote:

Photo: Illinois Central Express Reefer 4840 (Undated)

Photo from Classic Trains:

https://www.trains.com/ctr/photos-videos/photo-of-the-day/illinois-central-express-reefer/

One of 35 wood-sheathed refrigerator cars IC converted to express service.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

nyc3001 .

Can these be modeled with the Westerfield AC&F wood reefer kits? They seem to resemble Type II or III reefers.

-Phil Lee

Ed Mims

I assume IC 4840 was painted Pullman green. Does anyone know for sure? What color is the stenciling--gold or Dulux Gold? Are decals available? Lots of questions. I assume these cars had AB1B brakes. Would love to do an HO model or something very close.

Ed Mims