Topics

Photo: Lifting A Flat Car (Undated)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Lifting A Flat Car

A photo from the Wisconsin Historical Society:

https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Image/IM61609

Perhaps a good way to avoid switching charges.

Seriously, does anyone know why this might have been done?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Bob,

I can't figure why in this situation it would be necessary either, except to prove it could be done. I think it is a staged publicity photo for P&H. Note that the flatcar's trucks are heavily retouched, and it appears the road name has been brushed out.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 1:48 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: Lifting A Flat Car

A photo from the Wisconsin Historical Society:

https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Image/IM61609

Perhaps a good way to avoid switching charges.

Seriously, does anyone know why this might have been done?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Schuyler Larrabee

My first thought was the modeler had glued the load on . . .  😊

But I agree, it’s a promotional image.

Schuyler

I can't figure why in this situation it would be necessary either, except to prove it could be done. I think it is a staged publicity photo for P&H. Note that the flatcar's trucks are heavily retouched, and it appears the road name has been brushed out.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 1:48 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: Lifting A Flat Car

A photo from the Wisconsin Historical Society:

https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Image/IM61609

Perhaps a good way to avoid switching charges.

Seriously, does anyone know why this might have been done?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 10:48 AM, Bob Chaparro wrote:
Seriously, does anyone know why this might have been done?
The crane looks new; the track it runs on certainly looks like it was just installed. The flatcar appears to be loaded with something, maybe flat steel plate. I'd hazard a guess that this is the test lift for certification of the crane,

Dennis Storzek

Todd Sullivan

And the two men 'standing underneath the car' are definitely further back than under the car.  Even in pre-OSHA days, no railroad employee would be negligent enough to stand under a car suspended from a crane.

Todd Sullivan
(who used to dodge transit cars being lifted and swung end-for-end at Alstom Hornell)

gastro42000 <martincooper@...>

hi all:correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t the trucks come off. Marty Cooper

On 08/03/2020 3:37 PM Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

And the two men 'standing underneath the car' are definitely further back than under the car.  Even in pre-OSHA days, no railroad employee would be negligent enough to stand under a car suspended from a crane.

Todd Sullivan
(who used to dodge transit cars being lifted and swung end-for-end at Alstom Hornell)

mel perry

marty;
good catch, they mght have been
chained to the bolster, but would need
a clearer picture
mel perry

On 08/03/2020 3:37 PM Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

And the two men 'standing underneath the car' are definitely further back than under the car.  Even in pre-OSHA days, no railroad employee would be negligent enough to stand under a car suspended from a crane.

Todd Sullivan
(who used to dodge transit cars being lifted and swung end-for-end at Alstom Hornell)

Lester Breuer

My opinion, Promotion to sell the crane and show an example of load it can lift.  In my opinion, the two men are not under the flat car being lifted.  A photo perspective.  My guess the person scanning the photo created the caption and it was his impression the men were under the flat car.
Lester Breuer

mopacfirst

Dennis' explanation is most likely.

Wherever this crane is, it appears that its purpose is to lift stuff that's between the two crane rails, probably stuff that arrived by motor transport or perhaps offloaded from ships in the nearby harbor, move it between the legs of the crane support on the left and lower it on to freight cars.   The test lift was probably run in the opposite direction, picking up that flatcar and moving it across into the area between the crane legs.  You have to assume that they'd then put it back, but there would perhaps need to be more than those two men, who look like supervisors, to get it back on the rails.

Ron Merrick