Topics

Photo: Many Tanks Cars (Undated)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Many Tanks Cars (Undated)

A photo from the New York Public Library:

https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47d9-ab85-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99

This image can be enlarged.

Note two compartment tank car in foreground with single rivet course construction.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tony Thompson

Bob Chaparro wrote:

Photo: Many Tanks Cars (Undated)
A photo from the New York Public Library:

   Good illustration of why it's hard to model a refinery realistically.  <g>

Tony Thompson

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

SDRX is the reporting mark used by Sinclair. This photo is obviously before the giant silver "Sinclair" was spelled out across the car sides. T

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 11:58 AM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: Many Tanks Cars (Undated)

A photo from the New York Public Library:

https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47d9-ab85-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99

This image can be enlarged.

Note two compartment tank car in foreground with single rivet course construction.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Steve SANDIFER

That first car on the 2nd track is an interesting 2 dome car. The domes are large and the car seems longer than most. SDRX ???, two ladders but no platform on this side.

J. Stephen Sandifer

A photo from the New York Public Library:

   Good illustration of why it's hard to model a refinery realistically.  <g>

Tony Thompson

Richard Townsend

In the 1955 tank car tariff it shows Sinclair had several 2-compartment tank cars, but most were 6,000-gallon cars and the remainder were 5,000-gallon cars. This one is much bigger and looks to me to be in the 8,000 to 10,000 gallon range. I wonder what a tariff from a time closer to when the photo was taken would show.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

That first car on the 2nd track is an interesting 2 dome car. The domes are large and the car seems longer than most. SDRX ???, two ladders but no platform on this side.

J. Stephen Sandifer

A photo from the New York Public Library:

   Good illustration of why it's hard to model a refinery realistically.  <g>

Tony Thompson

Dave Parker

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 06:43 PM, Richard Townsend wrote:
In the 1955 tank car tariff it shows Sinclair had several 2-compartment tank cars, but most were 6,000-gallon cars and the remainder were 5,000-gallon cars. This one is much bigger and looks to me to be in the 8,000 to 10,000 gallon range. I wonder what a tariff from a time closer to when the photo was taken would show.
In the 1919 tariff, SDRX shows a single two-compartment car, 4000 gallons total.

In the 1936 edition, there were 40 two-comp cars, mostly 6000 gal, with a handful of smaller ones.  None bigger.

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

RICH CHAPIN

Notes for the photos say "Courtesy of the Sinclair Consolidated Oil Corporation, New York." wonder where photo taken, doesn't look like anything near NYC

Rich Chapin
Basking Ridge NJ

Douglas Harding

Sinclair has two refineries in Wyoming, Sinclair (was Parco) and Casper. Headquarters is in Salt Lake City.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org