Photo: MDT Reefer 16883

Bob Chaparro

Photo courtesy of Mike Robbins on Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/alcomike/40496560693/in/album-72157631664600097/

He writes:

“Merchants Despatch Refrigerator Line (MDT) wooden ice activated Reefer # 16883 (refrigerated box car) is seen at an unknown New Haven Railroad yard location, ca late 1930's.”

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

gary laakso

Great picture!  What are the padlock shaped devices on only one side of each ladder?

Gary Laakso

North west of Mike Brock

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 9:45 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Photo: MDT Reefer 16883

He writes:

“Merchants Despatch Refrigerator Line (MDT) wooden ice activated Reefer # 16883 (refrigerated box car) is seen at an unknown New Haven Railroad yard location, ca late 1930's.”

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Schuyler Larrabee

Clamps, Gary.  Specially cast clamps to hold the ladder stiles close to the car at the midpoint.  There are similar clamps at the top and bottom of the ladders, particularly noticeable at the end ladder.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of gary laakso
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 12:50 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: MDT Reefer 16883

Great picture!  What are the padlock shaped devices on only one side of each ladder?

Gary Laakso

North west of Mike Brock

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 9:45 AM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Photo: MDT Reefer 16883

He writes:

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

lrkdbn

A nice picture-pity it can't be downloaded...
LR King

Schuyler Larrabee

Contact me off list, please.

Schuyler

Schuyler *dot* larrabee (at) Verizon.net

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of lrkdbn via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 4:15 PM

A nice picture-pity it can't be downloaded...
LR King

Dave Parker

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 01:15 PM, lrkdbn wrote:
A nice picture-pity it can't be downloaded
No, but you can adjust the zoom to fill the screen, do a screen capture to the clipboard (PrtScn), paste the image into any number of programs (Powerpoint, Photoshop, etc), and save it as a JPEG, PNG, or whatever.  EZ-PZ.

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Todd Sullivan

You can open a Word document, click on Screen Capture and capture the image that way, then save the Word document.

Todd Sullivan

ROGER HINMAN

Car built Mar 23; renumbered 40883 after rebuilding during WW2 and sold to Hyman Michaels for scrap in March of 1952

Roger Hinman

On Apr 21, 2021, at 12:45 PM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

He writes:

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Mark Kapka

Hi

I saved to desktop, then put in downloads.

Mark Kapka

Schuyler Larrabee

Thanks Roger.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of ROGER HINMAN via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 5:00 PM

Car built Mar 23; renumbered 40883 after rebuilding during WW2 and sold to Hyman Michaels for scrap in March of 1952

Roger Hinman

On Apr 21, 2021, at 12:45 PM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

He writes:

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Nelson Moyer

I opened the largest of the large choices, did Print Screen, opened the file in PE, cropped the image, enhanced focus and contrast, and saved it to disk. Sharpening and adding contrast enable me to read the lettering, and the file is only 2.18 MB.

Nelson Moyer

-----Original Message-----
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Kapka
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2021 4:03 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

Hi

Mark Kapka

Tony Thompson

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 01:15 PM, lrkdbn wrote:
A nice picture-pity it can't be downloaded

On the Mac, press Shift, Command, and 4 keys together, drag the crosshair to select the desired area, and release. The image is saved on the desktop.

Tony Thompson

WILLIAM PARDIE

Drop Brake Staff For Flat Cars

I was preping  a Red Caboose Southern Pacific flat car kit this morning.  I was very impressed with their version of the drop brake staff detail.  I had been pondering how to do this deail.  I have a built.car but had overlooked this feature.  I would sure like to find more.  Combined with the square brake shaft thar Bill Welch passed out a few years ago it will make a striking feature.

Bill Pardie

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 4/21/21 11:02 AM (GMT-10:00)
To: "main@realstmfc.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Hi

Mark Kapka

lrkdbn

Thank you all for the computer advice! You made my day!
LR King