Topics

Photo: Monon Covered Hopper 4240

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Monon Covered Hopper 4240

A photo from the National Archives of Canada:

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/CollectionSearch/Pages/record.aspx?app=FonAndCol&IdNumber=4026583

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.

Car built in 1947.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Thanks, Bob, photos of these in their original paint are rare.

Mike Aufderheide

Bill Keene

How long was the original paint scheme in use?

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Nov 4, 2020, at 7:43 AM, Michael Aufderheide <MononInMonon@...> wrote:

Thanks, Bob, photos of these in their original paint are rare.

Mike Aufderheide

Bill,

4-5 years at the most, I have a "Bob's" photo from 1952 and the paint is barely legible.  They were repainted in the scheme used by the Kato models.

Mike

Mont Switzer

Bill,

Adding to Mike's response, I started watching Monon rolling stock closely from 1963 on and never saw a gray one.

  Few photos exist.

Sunshine offered a mini-kit for this car and Bowser offered the full on paint and lettering on a r-t-r model.

Mont Switzer

From: Michael Aufderheide <MononInMonon@...>
Date: 11/5/20 5:57 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Mont,

Since the sunshine kit is hard to find, you can also use an Intermountain kit and Pierre Oliver's excellent roof and hatch detail mini-kit.  See:

http://www.yarmouthmodelworks.com/index.php/ResinModelKits/Index

Scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page.

There is a decal set available through Tichy:

https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Shop/tabid/91/c/hopper-covered/p/10263-monon-covered-hopper-decal/Default.aspx

There was also a set done by Champ, HC-71.

Not bad for a lot of 100 cars!

MIke Aufderheide

Mont Switzer

Monon LO  of that size handled cement. Foundry sand,  limestone dust primary.

Mont Switzer

4-5 years at the most, I have a "Bob's" photo from 1952 and the paint is barely legible.  They were repainted in the scheme used by the Kato models.

Mike

william darnaby

The EMD library had copies of all of the railroad industry publications going back into the 40’s and I remember seeing a blurb about these cars that stated that some of them were assigned to the Omar Bakery in Indianapolis for flour service.  I don’t imagine that they lasted long in that service as that design of car was not particularly well suited for flour service but it is not beyond comprehension that the Monon gave it a try back in that era.

Bill Darnaby

The Bob's photo I mentioned was taken in Ottawa IL, famous for it's silica sand pits.  I have been told by an ex-Monon employee these were in glass service for a Chrysler windshield plant in Indianapolis.  I have not been able to find out much about this, however.   Does anyone know about this factory?

In the Monon conductor's reports I have they carry mostly cement, and I think that is why they were purchased.  The Monon served a large cement plant south of Greencastle IN.  (at a station name called "Cement" !)  The cars also carried soda ash and lime.  It is not recorded in these reports, but I have heard they also carried 'limestone dust'; a waste product from stone cutting mills that is used in the cosmetics industry.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

Mont Switzer

Bill and all,

Only one LO  ended up dedicated to Omar Baking in Indianapolis.  If I recall correctly from diagrams it was fitted with 20 inch circular round hatch openings ON the original square hatch covers.

Mont Switzer

[...]

Mike and all,

As far as I know the Ottawa, IL sand went to Chrysler Foundry on Indianapolis west side.  Sand from Michigan City may have gone there too.

FYI Chrysler Foundry consumed 1000 cu. Ft.. Of sand every 4 hours Monday thru Friday.  On weekends volume went to 1000 cf every 8 hours.

Mont Switzer

The Bob's photo I mentioned was taken in Ottawa IL, famous for it's silica sand pits.  I have been told by an ex-Monon employee these were in glass service for a Chrysler windshield plant in Indianapolis.  I have not been able to find out much about this, however.   Does anyone know about this factory?

In the Monon conductor's reports I have they carry mostly cement, and I think that is why they were purchased.  The Monon served a large cement plant south of Greencastle IN.  (at a station name called "Cement" !)  The cars also carried soda ash and lime.  It is not recorded in these reports, but I have heard they also carried 'limestone dust'; a waste product from stone cutting mills that is used in the cosmetics industry.

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide

Mont,

Thanks, you cleared up a long standing mystery!  Engine blocks not windshields.

Regards,

Mike