Topics

Photo: More TCWX Tank Cars: (1931)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: More TCWX Tank Cars: (1931)

Photo from the Science History Institute:

https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/nk322f14s/viewer/ff365613n

Click and scroll to enlarge.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Bob,

And who, pray tell, owned the TCWX reporting mark? That mark isn't listed in my 1957 ORER. Because of the angles, I can't read the name on the cars' sides.

Those three tank cars are all really neat. They are presumably acid cars, and each one different. I love the little 0-4-0T in the first photo.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 12:59 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: More TCWX Tank Cars: (1931)

Photo from the Science History Institute:

https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/nk322f14s/viewer/ff365613n

Click and scroll to enlarge.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Schuyler Larrabee

Bob explained that in the first, single car, image.

Charles Lenning & Co.

And who, pray tell, owned the TCWX reporting mark? That mark isn't listed in my 1957 ORER. Because of the angles, I can't read the name on the cars' sides.

Those three tank cars are all really neat. They are presumably acid cars, and each one different. I love the little 0-4-0T in the first photo.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 12:59 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: More TCWX Tank Cars: (1931)

Photo from the Science History Institute:

https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/nk322f14s/viewer/ff365613n

Click and scroll to enlarge.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Schuyler,

Yes, I got it. I had the image open on my desktop and so couldn't see his post. Curiously, once I opened the image in large size, I couldn't get back to the smaller one.

Still wondering if the TCWX reporting mark only belonged to Charles Lennig & Co., or was the mark also used for other manufacturers leasing cars in the TCWX fleet. A 1931 ORER should explain.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 2:07 PM Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io <schuyler.larrabee=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Bob explained that in the first, single car, image.

Charles Lenning & Co.

And who, pray tell, owned the TCWX reporting mark? That mark isn't listed in my 1957 ORER. Because of the angles, I can't read the name on the cars' sides.

Those three tank cars are all really neat. They are presumably acid cars, and each one different. I love the little 0-4-0T in the first photo.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 12:59 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: More TCWX Tank Cars: (1931)

Photo from the Science History Institute:

https://digital.sciencehistory.org/works/nk322f14s/viewer/ff365613n

Click and scroll to enlarge.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Richard Townsend

I don't have a 1931 ORER, but my January 1938 ORER says TCWX is for Charles Lennig & Co. only. At that point they had 18 tank cars, varying from 4,000 to 7,500 gallons capacity. All were TA acid tanks.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

And who, pray tell, owned the TCWX reporting mark? That mark isn't listed in my 1957 ORER. Because of the angles, I can't read the name on the cars' sides.

Those three tank cars are all really neat. They are presumably acid cars, and each one different. I love the little 0-4-0T in the first photo.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 12:59 PM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Photo: More TCWX Tank Cars: (1931)
Photo from the Science History Institute:
Click and scroll to enlarge.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Richard Townsend

By the way, TCWX 119 was 6,660 capacity and TCWX 123 was the same. Between them at #121 was a 4,000 gallon car.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

[...]

David

TCWX 115 looks to be a fairly standard AC&F Type 17, with some work on the dome to accommodate the cargo. TCWX 119 is a pre-1917 GATC tank (as is 122 behind it). The dome platform, ladder, center tank anchor, and two straps at the tank bolsters are later modifications. The poling pockets at the outer ends of the top archbar are original, though. I expect that the Lennig tanks were secondhand purchases modified for acid service.

David Thompson