Photo: National Car Co. Reefer NX 2550

Bob Chaparro

Photo: National Car Co. Reefer NX 2550

Photo from the Protocraft Decals website:

https://www.protocraft.com/images/859.jpg

Brine tanks and meat rails.

Notes from the website:

The National Car Company was established in 1930 as a leasing subsidiary of the FGE.

By 1940, NX had more than 1,600 reefers on its roster with many other reporting marks for their leased cars such as Oscar Mayer (OMX), Kingan & CO. (KRLX), E. Kahn (EKSX), Superior Packing (SPCX) and others.

National operated into the 1960s. Cars with the NX reporting marks were leased to the other companies and railroads with signs on the side directing it’s return to the lessee.

Bob Chaparro

Moderator

Railway Bull Shippers Group

https://groups.io/g/RailwayBullShippersGroup

lrkdbn

Here is a question that is total speculation- were any of these 36 ft NX reefers rebuilt out of ex PRR
class RF cars?
Larry King

ROGER HINMAN

We’ve lost the FGEX wizard, but the strategy NX used was similar to what MDT did with ERDX; take all your old 36 foot cars and lease them to shippers who liked the shorter cars. If PRR transferred any of the said car to FGEX, it had a reasonable chance of making it to NX fleet.

Roger Hinman

On Jun 23, 2021, at 2:55 PM, lrkdbn via groups.io <lrkdbn@...> wrote:

Here is a question that is total speculation- were any of these 36 ft NX reefers rebuilt out of ex PRR
class RF cars?
Larry King

Bill Parks

Here is a question that is total speculation- were any of these 36 ft NX reefers rebuilt out of ex PRR
class RF cars?

My understanding (although I don't have anything to verify) is that all of the ex-PRR cars became FGEX cars, and none of them went to NX (which wasn't formed until about 8 years after FGEX).  If someone has evidence to the contrary, I'd love to hear it.
--
Bill Parks
Cumming, GA

Bruce Smith

Bill,

While Larry asked about RF cars being rebuilt, your answer sounds more general. Indeed, ex-PRR RF cars DID make it into NX service. They obviously did not make it past WWII, but prior to that, they could be found, often leased to packers, including Kahns. I have a 1941 photo of EKSX 1046.  It looks like a small number of these cars remained in service, at least through the 1943 ORER.  The cars appear to have the standard "FGE/NX" style lettering for "THE E. KAHN'S SONS COMPANY", "EKSX" and "BRINE TANK REFRIGERATOR".

I do not know if any of these cars were rebuilt into more “modern” 36’ cars by FGE/National.

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL