Topics

Photo: NYC Flat Car S-498123 With Condenser Parts (1924)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: NYC Flat Car S-498123 With Condenser Parts (1924)

A photo from the Huntington Library:

https://hdl.huntington.org/digital/collection/p16003coll2/id/25045/rec/868

This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.

T-Section trucks?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Mike Williams

How will those two cars remained coupled?  The draft gear must be quite out of alignment!

ROGER HINMAN

You’re probably correct; both cars were built in 1912 when T-section trucks were popular

Roger Hinman

On Jan 17, 2021, at 1:52 PM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: NYC Flat Car S-498123 With Condenser Parts (1924)
A photo from the Huntington Library:
This photo can be enlarged quite a bit.
T-Section trucks?
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

ROGER HINMAN

Looking at the car diagrams, the lead car’s deck measures 50 inches above the top of rail; and the following car’s deck measures 38 3/8 inch above the rail, both coupler center lines are the standard 34 1/2 inches. The loading effects the numbers somewhat but a foot difference is the norm.

Roger Hinman

On Jan 17, 2021, at 2:44 PM, Mike Williams via groups.io <j3a5405@...> wrote:

How will those two cars remained coupled?  The draft gear must be quite out of alignment!

Paul Krueger

This is the prototype for the Red Caboose 42' flat car, isn't it? Richard's RMJ article has a question mark for the type of trucks used under this series of cars and this photo shows them very well.

http://magazine.trainlife.com/rmj_1997_1/

Paul
Seattle, WA

Dave Parker

Paul:

My notes indicate that NYC 498000-489499 were only 40-0 over end sills and had 11 stake pockets.

I think it is the 496000-496299 series that is closest to the Red Caboose model (42-1 OL, 12 pockets).  498500-498999 was sort of in between:  40-10 OL, 12 pockets.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Paul Krueger

You're right, Dave. I overlooked the dimensions on the table in Richard's article. The photo does answer the question about the trucks for this series though.

Paul
Seattle, WA

Eric Hansmann

Those earlier NYC flat cars had a shallower fish belly side sill and also a fish belly center sill. Roger gave a great presentation in the NYC flat car fleet at the 2019 Chicagoland RPM.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Jan 17, 2021, at 4:30 PM, Paul Krueger <kruegerp12@...> wrote:

This is the prototype for the Red Caboose 42' flat car, isn't it? Richard's RMJ article has a question mark for the type of trucks used under this series of cars and this photo shows them very well.

http://magazine.trainlife.com/rmj_1997_1/

Paul
Seattle, WA

Steve SANDIFER

Richard’s article has a list of 42’ USRA Design Flat Cars and closely Similar Cars. He shows the 496000-496299 as 42’1”. The 489500+ series were 40’10”.

J. Stephen Sandifer

My notes indicate that NYC 498000-489499 were only 40-0 over end sills and had 11 stake pockets.

I think it is the 496000-496299 series that is closest to the Red Caboose model (42-1 OL, 12 pockets).  498500-498999 was sort of in between:  40-10 OL, 12 pockets.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Mike Williams

Does the diagram specify the wheel diameters?  The journals on the second car appear to be closer to the rails as well.

ROGER HINMAN

Yes, they are 28” wheels

Roger Hinman