Photo: Oil Loading Rack

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Oil Loading Rack

A photo from the Gateway To Oklahoma History website:

https://gateway.okhistory.org/ark:/67531/metadc1593835/m1/1/?q=Loading

Photo editing software should improve the lighting of this photo.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

spsalso

Wow.  Not a ladder in sight, going up to the domes.

The car on the left (I'm assuming UTLX 639 or 629) has a curious mid-car tank hold-down rig, that goes around the dome.  And a railing, instead of a handrail, along the tank.  I see at least two similar cars on the other track, and it appears they also have the goofy mid-car hold-down.

In 1926, there were 190 cars in the series 551-999.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Tony Thompson

Edward Sutorik wrote:

Wow. Not a ladder in sight, going up to the domes.
The car on the left (I'm assuming UTLX 639 or 629) has a curious mid-car tank hold-down rig, that goes around the dome . . .
This was to prevent rotation around the long axis of the tank, before the introduction of center anchors for tank cars.

Tony Thompson
tony@...