Topics

Photo: PFE/WP Reefer

Bob Chaparro

Photo: PFE/WP Reefer

This is link to a photo from the collection of the University of Utah:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6tj05h8

Visible among the reefers is PFE 50092, one of the Western Pacific reefers. I believe there were fewer than 3,000 of these WP cars in the PFE fleet.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Bob,

There originally were 2,775 WP/PFE refrigerators. The original group of 2,000 were ordered by WP in 1923, just before they joined the PFE. In order to match the proportion of WP's contribution to the whole PFE fleet, 775 more cars were added in 1924. The as-delivered WP cars are discussed in Chapter 5 of of Tony's PFE book, with mention of their later rebuilding/reconditioning scattered through other chapters (check his excellent index).

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 12:02 AM Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: PFE/WP Reefer

This is link to a photo from the collection of the University of Utah:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6tj05h8

Visible among the reefers is PFE 50092, one of the Western Pacific reefers. I believe there were fewer than 3,000 of these WP cars in the PFE fleet.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bill Welch

Remind me please, which WP group were delivered with Hutchins roofs?

Bill Welch

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Bill,

WP-owned PFE 50001-52000 had Hutchins roofs when new, but were all supposedly otherwise R-30-13 design. [There may, or may not, have been up to 200 cars that had R-30-12 underframes, but there is no photographic proof of this. The two AC&F builder's photo in Tony's book show R-30-13-type open bolster ends, as do all in-service photos I have seen. Any models with WP heralds and R-30-12 underframes are suspect.]

WP-owned PFE 52001-52775 had Standard Railway Equipment Co. roofs, per PFE's R-30-13 specifications. Pullman built wreck replacements for Hutchins-equipped 50329, 50349, and 50984. Since they were among the last R-30-13s built, the replacements probably came with SRE roofs. One other Pullman-built car replaced 52017; the original had been built new with an SRE roof. Some 50001-series cars received SRE roofs when the Hutchins roofs wore out or were damaged beyond repair, especially on cars that received new larger bodies circa 1938-1943.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 9:02 AM Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:
Remind me please, which WP group were delivered with Hutchins roofs?

Bill Welch

Tim O'Connor

And how about this PFE R-50-1 ?! Hubba hubba.
https://collections.lib.utah.edu/details?id=1004047

:-)

On 12/1/2019 12:02 AM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io wrote:

Photo: PFE/WP Reefer

This is link to a photo from the collection of the University of Utah:

https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6tj05h8

Visible among the reefers is PFE 50092, one of the Western Pacific reefers. I believe there were fewer than 3,000 of these WP cars in the PFE fleet.

Bob Chaparro

Sterling, Massachusetts