Topics

Photo: Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Gondola 8752

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Gondola 8752

A 1908 photo from the University of Pittsburgh Digital Archives:

https://digital.library.pitt.edu/islandora/object/pitt%3A8223.509.RR/viewer

Bottom discharge design?

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

David

Pretty typical hopper-bottom gondola. This type was fairly common from the 1880s through 1910, but was superseded by self-clearing hoppers and GS gondolas.

David Thompson

Eric Hansmann

These cars had shallow hoppers and clamshell doors. This hardware was common on many steel gondolas built in the 1900-1915 years.

Bob McGlone shared an interesting upgrade on a Bowser GS model on my blog. His model work reflects the prototype appearance of a few thousand Pennsy GS gons that we’re built with shallow hoppers and clamshell doors.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN