Topics

Photo: PRR Boxcar 61973 (Undated)


Bob Chaparro
 

Photo: PRR Boxcar 61973 (Undated)

A photo from the South Wood County Historical Museum:

https://content.mpl.org/digital/collection/swch/id/165/rec/140

Use the arrows and scroll to enlarge the photo.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA


Scott
 

Interesting picture.  I know the pickup says ranges but they look like early refrigerators.

Scott McDonald 


mel perry
 

those ARE refrigerators
;-)
mel perry

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021, 11:36 AM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: PRR Boxcar 61973 (Undated)

A photo from the South Wood County Historical Museum:

https://content.mpl.org/digital/collection/swch/id/165/rec/140

Use the arrows and scroll to enlarge the photo.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA


Bob Chaparro
 

And these are refrigerators, too:

https://content.mpl.org/digital/collection/swch/id/167/rec/8

Note the “Unload From This Side” placard.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA


Scott
 

Cool with these cars I guess I need to add an appliance store somewhere on the layout.

Scott McDonald 


David Payne
 



Or use a house track, team/dray track, or some other available "company" track to spot the car and the consignee comes with a truck to unload the car.  Can site appliance, furniture, blankets, and perhaps other commodities.
DPayne
 
 


Tony Thompson
 


On Mar 5, 2021, at 9:45 AM, Scott McDonald wrote:

Cool with these cars I guess I need to add an appliance store somewhere on the layout.

Why? Just have the appliances delivered on the team track or house track.

Tony Thompson




Tim O'Connor
 

Tony

Exactly. I remember listening to Jean Shepherd's NPR story about the delivery of the Sears house
at the local team track. I see they later made it into a mini-movie. :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzvMijR9Vc

Tim O'Connor




On 3/5/2021 2:08 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:

On Mar 5, 2021, at 9:45 AM, Scott McDonald wrote:
Cool with these cars I guess I need to add an appliance store somewhere on the layout.

Why? Just have the appliances delivered on the team track or house track.


--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts


Charlie Vlk
 

Good subject for documentation….however the Sears House components would not have come packed in cardboard boxes…and certainly not in a McGuiness B&M Blue box car…..just in case somebody wants to model the scene at a STMFC era team track!!

…but since it was on NPR (National Public Radio) nobody would see those mistakes…..maybe PBS (aka public television) can have Ken Burns do a more accurate version of this common but little-remembered part of history.

Charlie Vlk

 

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Friday, March 5, 2021 1:16 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: PRR Boxcar 61973 (Undated)

 

Tony

Exactly. I remember listening to Jean Shepherd's NPR story about the delivery of the Sears house
at the local team track. I see they later made it into a mini-movie. :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzvMijR9Vc

Tim O'Connor




On 3/5/2021 2:08 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:

 

On Mar 5, 2021, at 9:45 AM, Scott McDonald wrote:

Cool with these cars I guess I need to add an appliance store somewhere on the layout.

 

Why? Just have the appliances delivered on the team track or house track.

 


--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts