Photo: PRR Flat Car With San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge Section

Bob Chaparro

Photo: PRR Flat Car With San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge Section

Photo from the San Francisco Public Library:

https://tinyurl.com/mr3afxfv

Photo can be enlarged.

Car number possibly is 925112. Next car is PRR gondola.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Eric Hansmann

Neat shot. I agree on the PRR F22 flat car number.

I’d say most of the gondolas in that string could be PRR gons

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Jan 2, 2022, at 1:13 PM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: PRR Flat Car With San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge Section

Photo from the San Francisco Public Library:

https://tinyurl.com/mr3afxfv

Photo can be enlarged.

Car number possibly is 925112. Next car is PRR gondola.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Eric Hansmann

A correction. The flat car is an FM class, not an F22.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Jan 2, 2022, at 1:29 PM, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

Neat shot. I agree on the PRR F22 flat car number.

I’d say most of the gondolas in that string could be PRR gons

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Jan 2, 2022, at 1:13 PM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: PRR Flat Car With San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge Section

Photo from the San Francisco Public Library:

https://tinyurl.com/mr3afxfv

Photo can be enlarged.

Car number possibly is 925112. Next car is PRR gondola.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Nolan Hinshaw

On Jan 2, 2022, at 11:13, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: PRR Flat Car With San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge Section
Photo from the San Francisco Public Library:
https://tinyurl.com/mr3afxfv
Photo can be enlarged.
Car number possibly is 925112. Next car is PRR gondola.
Anyone making book on whether they came from around Pittsburg (for some possibly very generous values of "around")? My guess is at least US Steel (based on very vague memories).
--
Willie saw some dynamite
Couldn't understand it quite

Note "American Bridge Company" on the sign. Here's a link to a photo of the bridge under construction <https://www.americanbridge.net/about/history/#1930s>
--
Little Willie from the mirror sucked the mercury all off
Thinking in his childish error it would cure his whooping cought.

Eric Hansmann

Pittsburg? Or Pittsburgh?

IIRC, there were US Steel mills in both places.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Jan 2, 2022, at 11:13, Bob Chaparro via groups.io
<chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: PRR Flat Car With San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge Section
Photo from the San Francisco Public Library:
https://tinyurl.com/mr3afxfv
Photo can be enlarged.
Car number possibly is 925112. Next car is PRR gondola.
Anyone making book on whether they came from around Pittsburg (for some
possibly very generous values of "around")? My guess is at least US Steel
(based on very vague memories).
--
Willie saw some dynamite
Couldn't understand it quite
Curiosity never pays;
It rained Willie seven days.

David Soderblom

Getting back to the thread: once these cars got to SF, what next? Along the SF Belt to the Presidio, and on via road? On via barge (seems unlikely, given a numbers of practicalities)?

Sent from my tricorder

Jason P

The lower part of the sign says "American Bridge Co." which at the time would have been US Steel's construction subsidiary so yes it would be fair to say this came from a USS mill.

-Jason

On Jan 4, 2022, at 17:30, David Soderblom <drs@stsci.edu> wrote:

Getting back to the thread: once these cars got to SF, what next? Along the SF Belt to the Presidio, and on via road? On via barge (seems unlikely, given a numbers of practicalities)?
The Bay Bridge (the destination for this steel instead of the Golden Gate Bridge) sprang from Rincon Hill on the northeast side of San Francisco, where there is a tangle of tracks al interconnected at various points. If the cars were on the belt they definitely wouldn't be going all the way west, and most likely would wind up in a corporation yard near Rincon Hill down in the very flat landfill on that part of the waterfront. I wonder if they arrived via SP or perhaps by car float at Pier 41, the ATSF dock at Mission Rock, or the WP at the foot of 25th street (fodder for a trip to the main library's history room?).
--
Little Willie from the mirror sucked the mercury all off
Thinking in his childish error it would cure his whooping cought.
At the funeral Willie's mother said to Mrs. Brown,
"Twas a chilly day for Willie when the mercury went down.

akerboomk

Since it looks like a merger, American Bridge probably had plants all over the place.

But one notable site was Ambridge, PA (“am.bridge – get it?) IIRC just “east” of Conway yard, on the Ohio river. (west of Pittsburgh)

--
Ken Akerboom

Andy Laurent

American Bridge Company had an HQ and large scale bridge-building plant in Gary, Indiana on the EJ&E.  The facility is still in the steel fabrication business, now served by CSS&SB.
https://goo.gl/maps/jn9wYfkxieFneTgQ7

Andy L.
Madison, WI

Nolan Hinshaw

I managed to dig my copy of Bill Kaufman's _The State Belt_[0] out of Deep Storage™ and correlated images therein with other images of the waterfront available on the World Wide Waste and am certain that these carloads of bridge components landed on the belt near Piers 36-40 close enough to the site of the San Francisco anchorage (near the foot of Brannan[1] street as not to matter. There was a yard quite conveniently placed there.

[0] Signature Press
[1] it was Sam Brannan who spilled the beans about the gold discovery in Coloma, kicking off the gold rush
--
Little Willie from the mirror sucked the mercury all off
Thinking in his childish error it would cure his whooping cought.
At the funeral Willie's mother said to Mrs. Brown,
"Twas a chilly day for Willie when the mercury went down.

arved_grass

Why assume the destination is San Francisco and not Oakland?

- Arved