Topics

Photo: PRR Gondola 296954 With Export Log Load (Circa 1930s)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: PRR Gondola 296954 With Export Log Load (Circa 1930s)

A photo from the Artstor website:

https://library.artstor.org/#/asset/SS7729601_7729601_641419;prevRouteTS=1597971625034

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Taken at Wilmington, Delaware.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

mel perry

interesting track arrangment
mel perry

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020, 10:08 AM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: PRR Gondola 296954 With Export Log Load (Circa 1930s)

A photo from the Artstor website:

https://library.artstor.org/#/asset/SS7729601_7729601_641419;prevRouteTS=1597971625034

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Taken at Wilmington, Delaware.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bruce Smith

Interesting is right!  I missed that looking at the arrangement for unloading and loading, with the metal “spars” to the left and the ship’s hosts to the right. I wonder where these logs were headed?

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On Aug 21, 2020, at 12:46 PM, mel perry <clipper841@...> wrote:

interesting track arrangment
mel perry

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020, 10:08 AM Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Photo: PRR Gondola 296954 With Export Log Load (Circa 1930s)
A photo from the Artstor website:
Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.
Taken at Wilmington, Delaware.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

earlyrail

  Re: Photo: PRR Gondola 296954 With Export Log Load (Circa 1930s)
From: mel perry
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 10:47:02 PDT
interesting track arrangment
mel perry

That "center" rail and one near the bulkhead are for the gantry cranes seen further down the pier.

Howard Garner

David Wiggs

What I think is cool about this photo is something I've never seen.  The towers at the left across the tracks from the ship to which the ships rigging has been attached to allow a further reach for the ship to unload its cargo.

davo in Orlando