Photo: PRR Merchandise Service Boxcar 37007

Bob Chaparro

Photo: PRR Merchandise Service Boxcar 37007

Photo from Classic Trains Magazine:

https://www.trains.com/ctr/photos-videos/photo-of-the-day/merchandise-service/

Caption:

“The Pennsylvania Railroad had 100 such 60-foot class X40B boxcars with 7-foot doors for merchandise service, a role made clear by the cars’ paint scheme. Pennsylvania Railroad photo”

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Scott

That's an interesting car for sure.  With Pierre's oil canning effect that would make a neat HO scale car.   Did those cars make it off line at all or where they in dedicated service on specific routes?

Scott McDonald

Bruce Smith

Scott,

The base color of PRR freight cars, including those in Merchandise Service paint and lettering, was the appropriately named “Freight Car Color” (aka FCC). FCC was not Tuscan, but was also, like Tuscan, an oxide red. As with Tuscan, the actual color of FCC varied depending on the era, from an orange red, through red, to a muddy brown red over the course of 4-5 decades.

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Scott <repairman87@...>
Date: Friday, July 9, 2021 at 11:57 AM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [EXT] Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: PRR Merchandise Service Boxcar 37007

Elden,

Thank you for that color photographs!  That is a much browner red then what I had envisioned.  Would that be Tuscon Red? Pretty car with fresh paint.  That had to be labor intensive to paint.  I found some old Champ decals for the second version with the all white stripe in case I chicken out with the aluminum strip ones.  The Champ description says that started in 1950 so hopefully thats accurate.  After my mis adventures with the New Haven Bill Board decaling a Youngstown door makes be nervous.

Thanks again,
Scott McDonald

Chuck Cover

Group,

Here is a model of a PRR X42 that I kit bashed 25 years ago from an article by Herb Baer in the PRR Keystone #12.1, December 1978.  The PRR X42 class was also covered by Chuck Yungkurth and Rich Burg in the October 1999 RMC.  The model is not painted in the Merchandise Service scheme, but rather the simplified freight car scheme.

Chuck Cover

Santa Fe, NM