Topics

Photo: Railroad Yards In West Bottoms (Undated)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Railroad Yards In West Bottoms (Undated)

A fair quality photo from the Kansas City Public Library:

https://kchistory.org/islandora/object/kchistory%3A104507/datastream/OBJ/view

Click on the photo to enlarge it.

Quite a variety of freight cars.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bill Keene

The West Bottoms was a very busy place.

From the far distance coming forward there are the freight houses and yards of the following railroads:
CRI&P
MKT
MILW
ATSF
CB&Q
C&A — later GM&O
SLSF.

Not viewable behind the large building in the left distance is a UP yard — State Line Yard. Also, just off the photo to the right is a KCT yard, a Wabash yard, and a KCS yard.

The Kansas City Terminal Railway (KCT) also had trackage amongst these railroads in the photo.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Aug 21, 2020, at 10:04 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Railroad Yards In West Bottoms (Undated)
A fair quality photo from the Kansas City Public Library:
Click on the photo to enlarge it.
Quite a variety of freight cars.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Bob,

We can begin to put a date on this photo by the Seaboard round-roof double-door boxcar. Series 1100-11999 (class AF-1) was delivered in 1940. Series 22000-22199 (class AF-2) were delivered in 1942. I'm not a Seaboard maven, and with a photo this small can't see the numbers to decide which class (I saved it to my desktop and blew it up with Photoshop; still not readable). Thus 1940 is our baseline.

I can't spot anything else that might be newer. The first Milwaukee Road rib-side cars were introduced in 1939 according to my resources. Maybe there is a clue in the GN goat herald, the M&STL single-sheathed boxcar with the slanted "Peoria Gateway" on its doors, or the ACL car with the very plain circular herald.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆