Photo: Reefers At A Blast Furnace (Circa 1925)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Reefers At A Blast Furnace (Circa 1925)

A photo from the Hagley Digital Archives:

https://digital.hagley.org/1986268_0245

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Anyone have an educated guess as to what is going on here?

The reefers all look the same and all look new. Is their location a coincidence or would there be some reason to place these cars at a blast furnace?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Richard Townsend

My guess is the steel plant is idle and the reefers are being stored on available trackage.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Photo: Reefers At A Blast Furnace (Circa 1925)
A photo from the Hagley Digital Archives:
Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.
Anyone have an educated guess as to what is going on here?
The reefers all look the same and all look new. Is their location a coincidence or would there be some reason to place these cars at a blast furnace?
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Patrick Wade

Since I do not see any smoke from the stacks perhaps the furnace is closed and the reefers are simply stored there on the off season.

Pat Wade
Santa Barbara, CA

On Apr 18, 2021, at 9:15 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Reefers At A Blast Furnace (Circa 1925)

A photo from the Hagley Digital Archives:

https://digital.hagley.org/1986268_0245

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Anyone have an educated guess as to what is going on here?

The reefers all look the same and all look new. Is their location a coincidence or would there be some reason to place these cars at a blast furnace?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Stic Harris

Yep. Roberts Iron (in Charlotte, a part of Rochester NY) went idle in 1892.

Stic Harris

--

- Stic

Eric Hansmann

I wonder how close this was the the Despatch Shops in East Rochester.

Many of those MDT reefers were built and repaired at the Despatch Shops.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Apr 18, 2021, at 11:51 AM, Stic Harris <sticdvm@...> wrote:

[...]

I consulted a map and found Charlotte and East Rochester on opposite sides of Rochester.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Apr 18, 2021, at 12:14 PM, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Rossiter

Eric et al, as Bruce stated – Charlotte is roughly 10 miles north of downtown Rochester – where the Genesee River empties into Lake Ontario.  The New York Central had a line that serviced Charlotte from the south as well as the ‘Hojack’ line (former Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburg) that ran east-west and crossed the Genesee River on a swing bridge that was finally dismantled several years ago.

The Despatch Shops were located in East Rochester, which as the name implies is some 10-15 miles east of downtown Rochester, and were located directly off of the NYC mainline running from Albany to Buffalo and beyond.  Lots of FREIGHT CARS built there over the years, especially during the steam era. 😊

Mark Rossiter

Sent from Mail for Windows 10