Topics

Photo: Scrap Loads In Gondolas (1955)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Scrap Loads In Gondolas (1955)

A photo from the Hagley Digital Archives:

https://digital.hagley.org/1986268_1_0171?solr_nav%5Bid%5D=208c2a62337c5cb32f2b&solr_nav%5Bpage%5D=0&solr_nav%5Boffset%5D=5

Scroll on the postcard to enlarge it.

It appears that each row of cars is filled with the same type of scrap...possibly presorted?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tony Thompson

Bob Chaparro wrote:

Photo: Scrap Loads In Gondolas (1955)
A photo from the Hagley Digital Archives:
Scroll on the postcard to enlarge it.
It appears that each row of cars is filled with the same type of scrap...possibly presorted?

    Absolutely. There were many grades of scrap, and value depended on grade. Particularly post-production scrap was easy to segregate and many loads depict that. (Not the modeler's favorite load with a complete automobile on top.)

Tony Thompson

william darnaby

One of the very last things I did before retiring from EMD was to wander out back in the yard with a coffee can and scoop up some machining turnings or chips, as they were called, for my scrap loads.  They were pre-weathered with rust and I use them as loose loads in my gons.  Repeated pouring and dumping them out of the gons also has the benefit nicely weathering the gon interiors.

Bill Darnaby