Topics

Photo: SFRD 13000 - Stainless Steel Reefer (1946)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: SFRD 13000 - Stainless Steel Reefer (1946)

A photo from the Tulare County Library:

https://californiarevealed.org/islandora/object/cavpp%3A177995

I think the caption for this photo is seriously incorrect, as I cannot believe that no oranges were shipped from the San Joaquin Valley before 1946.

Bob Chaparro

Moderator

Railroad Citrus Industry Modeling Group

https://groups.io/g/RailroadCitrusIndustryModelingGroup

Tony Thompson

Bob Chaparro wrote:

Photo: SFRD 13000 - Stainless Steel Reefer (1946)
A photo from the Tulare County Library:
I think the caption for this photo is seriously incorrect, as I cannot believe that no oranges were shipped from the San Joaquin Valley before 1946.

     I agree, Bob, but note that the TITLE of the photo is "first refrigerator car," not "first orange shipment." I think you are reading the expanded caption wrong.
     But of course SFRD 13000 is quite a long ways from the "first refrigerator car," unless perhapse they meant "first stainless steel refrigerator car."

Tony Thompson

Andy Carlson

Or, maybe the 1st "San Juaquin Valley" shipment of oranges, as their becoming commercial citrus growers came long after Southern California's.
-Andy Carson
Ojai CA

On Tuesday, August 11, 2020, 12:03:25 PM PDT, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

Bob Chaparro wrote:

Photo: SFRD 13000 - Stainless Steel Reefer (1946)
A photo from the Tulare County Library:
I think the caption for this photo is seriously incorrect, as I cannot believe that no oranges were shipped from the San Joaquin Valley before 1946.

     I agree, Bob, but note that the TITLE of the photo is "first refrigerator car," not "first orange shipment." I think you are reading the expanded caption wrong.
     But of course SFRD 13000 is quite a long ways from the "first refrigerator car," unless perhapse they meant "first stainless steel refrigerator car."

Tony Thompson

Fred Swanson

I thought it meant shipped from that packing plant.
Fred Swanson

Brian Termunde

Not that I disagree with what you or anyone else says, it does show Bob C. is correct, it IS a poorly written caption to leave so much to the imagination.

My comment was strictly meant to a *possibility*, as I have no way to actually know, so I speculated. Nothing more.

Take Care,

Brian R. Termunde
Midvale, Utah

Bob Chaparro

Not really, Andy.

In the late 1880 Southern California citrus nurserymen went north of the Tehachapi Mountains to market nursery stock.

Tulare County Genealogy Trails tells us that "In 1892 there were boosters a-plenty for the new [citrus] industry. It was deemed desirable to show the world that a new citrus district, producing fruit unequaled, had been discovered. The World's Fair at St. Louis was to open January 1, 1904. Above all things it behooved growers here to make a big showing. P. M. Baier was selected to prepare such an exhibit. The first full carload to leave the county was the fruit for this display and it required practically all grown in the county lo fill it."

This source goes on to say, "In 1893 there were four carloads at the Frost orchard, and in the next season the Exchange and the Earl Fruit Companies entered the field, getting out a pack of sixteen cars. This fruit reached the eastern market in time for the Thanksgiving and Christmas markets and sold for extra high prices. As this period of ripening is several weeks in advance of Southern California a great deal of attention was attracted to this locality and many southern growers came, saw the results accomplished, and invested."

Finally, the crop report for 1945 from the Tulare County Agricultural Commissioner/Sealer shows that there were nearly 36,000 acres of bearing Valencia and navel oranges in the county. That same report shows over eight million boxes of oranges were produced in the county.

So the photo caption unquestionably is wrong.

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Fred Jansz

Impressive car.
Would love one in my reefer collection.
Is there a model?

Bob Chaparro

There are no models that I know of but this is a case of "I don't know what I don't know".
Maybe someone else can tell us.
I did come across an O scale scratch-built model by Ed Bommer. I know nothing further about the model or Ed.
One additional comment on this one-off prototype. Santa Fe practice was to stencil a passenger train slogan on one side of the reefer with a map stencil on the other. This car carried two passenger train slogans.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Edward

Ah, such is progress.
I built the O scale model of SFRD 13000 in 1987, before desk top computers, home linked internet service and good digital cameras were available.
So the 1953 19th edition of Car Builders' Cyclopedia was my main reference. From that short caption and photo  I even determined the fractional dimensions for the car side data.
It was built using an Athearn reefer roof, ends and underframe. The sides are built up in styrene, with plug door details worked out with wire and a cut up soda pop can for thin sheet aluminum.
A Champion decal set was used for lettering, but the "E" in El Capitan and the word "West" had to be hand painted. The set had a curved "E" and the word "West" was too large.
So much for the RIGHT side of the model.
I pored through my old TRAINS magazines from the late 1940's to see if perhaps there was a photo that showed the LEFT side of SFRD 13000.
But I could not find any coverage at all about that unique car.
I then did what I thought ATSF would do: use  the standard layout with a slogan for the left side, "Ship and Travel Santa Fe All the Way."
It was in the Champ decal set so it went on, carefully fitting it all between the horizontal ribbing.
This model has been in local and NMRA regional model contests and taken to area train meets to run on a display layout. It was well received.

Now jump ahead 33 years and lo, what appears is a photo of the LEFT side of SFRD 13000! That for which I had searched in vain.
What to do?  Ought I try to find another Champ or other O scale decal set with the SFRD "The Super Chief to California" panel and redo the left side (which has also been weathered)?
Or, just break out my spike maul and return that model to the elements of the universe from whence it came, being now found inaccurate and unauthentic.
Still, at my age now (mid-80's), maybe it's best I just only show its RIGHT side from now on!

Ed Bommer, MMR 634

James SANDIFER

Several photos and descriptions on pages 187-191 of the Santa Fe ice reefer book. Built in 1946, scrapped in 1964. “The Super Chief to California” on one side, “El Capitan Coach Streamliner West” on the other. Maps on cars were used 1940-47, discontinued in March 1947 and replaced by “Ship and Travel Santa Fe All the Way.”

J. Stephen Sandifer

There are no models that I know of but this is a case of "I don't know what I don't know".
Maybe someone else can tell us.
I did come across an O scale scratch-built model by Ed Bommer. I know nothing further about the model or Ed.
One additional comment on this one-off prototype. Santa Fe practice was to stencil a passenger train slogan on one side of the reefer with a map stencil on the other. This car carried two passenger train slogans.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

James SANDIFER

“The Santa Fe Modeler,” 2nd Qtr. 1989, p. 31 has an article by Keith Jordan on the model of 13000 that he made in HO scale. He laminated .010 styrene to an Athearn reefer shell stripped of its details. The ends were Westrail. The ribs were .015 x .030 styrene, 64 pieces to each side. Of course this is 30 years ago so there are probably better ways to do it now. He painted it with Testor’s Metallizer paint. Keith was one of the authors of the Santa Fe Ice Reefer book.

J. Stephen Sandifer

There are no models that I know of but this is a case of "I don't know what I don't know".
Maybe someone else can tell us.
I did come across an O scale scratch-built model by Ed Bommer. I know nothing further about the model or Ed.
One additional comment on this one-off prototype. Santa Fe practice was to stencil a passenger train slogan on one side of the reefer with a map stencil on the other. This car carried two passenger train slogans.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

James SANDIFER

Also it depends on your time frame. It was renumbered twice and the door was changed during its life.

J. Stephen Sandifer