Photo: SHPX Tank Car 20504 & Friends

Bob Chaparro

Photo: SHPX Tank Car 20504 & Friends

Photo from the Industrial History Blog:

https://tinyurl.com/wctpmnu9

SHPX 20504 has a longitudinal rivet seam along the top of the tank. What is the technical term for this type of construction?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Philip Dove

I think it's called flash or the moulding line. The builders should have filed it off, it is most careless and unrealistic😊

On Tue, 22 Jun 2021, 17:05 Bob Chaparro via groups.io, <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: SHPX Tank Car 20504 & Friends

Photo from the Industrial History Blog:

https://tinyurl.com/wctpmnu9

SHPX 20504 has a longitudinal rivet seam along the top of the tank. What is the technical term for this type of construction?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tim O'Connor

What do you suppose those tank cars are doing on the wharf? Fuel oil for the ships perhaps?

On 6/22/2021 12:05 PM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io wrote:

Photo: SHPX Tank Car 20504 & Friends

Photo from the Industrial History Blog:

https://tinyurl.com/wctpmnu9

SHPX 20504

Sterling, Massachusetts

Ed Hawkins

On Jun 22, 2021, at 11:05 AM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

SHPX 20504 has a longitudinal rivet seam along the top of the tank. What is the technical term for this type of construction?

Bob,
It’s referred to as a 3-course tank, meaning there are 3 longitudinal seams. I’m unaware of any specific technical term for the seam. This 3-course riveted tank design was very common from the 1920s to the mid-1940s for tanks of 6,000 to 10,000 gallon capacities.

SHPX 20504 was one of 54 ACF Type 27 tank cars in series 20496-20549 built ca. mid-1937 in lot 1702. ICC-103, 8,000 gallons nominal, 40-tons. Shippers’ Car Line used this series of cars for general service with either short or long-term leases.

InterMountain offered HO and O-scale models of these cars of this general type, the latter tooling later went to Atlas.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Tony Thompson

Bob Chaparro wrote:

Photo: SHPX Tank Car 20504 & Friends
Photo from the Industrial History Blog:
SHPX 20504 has a longitudinal rivet seam along the top of the tank. What is the technical term for this type of construction?

Three-course construction, if I understand your question. There are two top sheets and a bottom sheet, thus three rivet courses.

Tony Thompson

mel perry

that looks likeba rivet overlay seam
;-)
mel perry

On Tue, Jun 22, 2021, 10:10 AM Philip Dove <philipdove22@...> wrote:
I think it's called flash or the moulding line. The builders should have filed it off, it is most careless and unrealistic😊

On Tue, 22 Jun 2021, 17:05 Bob Chaparro via groups.io, <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: SHPX Tank Car 20504 & Friends

Photo from the Industrial History Blog:

https://tinyurl.com/wctpmnu9

SHPX 20504 has a longitudinal rivet seam along the top of the tank. What is the technical term for this type of construction?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dave Nelson

Ok, we’ve got an answer to the row of rivets up top… next question: What is with the front of the big guy’s pants???  Looks like his zipper runs to the top of his beer belly.  8-)

Dave Nelson

SHPX 20504 has a longitudinal rivet seam along the top of the tank. What is the technical term for this type of construction?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dennis Storzek

You've never seen a man wearing coveralls before?

Dennis Storzek

Ray Hutchison

The third tank car has platform on top... I've most often associated this with (later) chemical cars?

Dave Nelson

Sure I have… I’m referring to the apparent seam running up from his crotch.  Very odd.

Dave Nelson

On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 10:14 AM, Dave Nelson wrote:

Sure I have… I’m referring to the apparent seam running up from his crotch.  Very odd.

I think we're having a failure to communicate...
Try this.

Dennis

Tony Thompson

Ray Hutchison wrote:

The third tank car has platform on top... I've most often associated this with (later) chemical cars?_

Many people would say the same, Ray, a legacy from our friends at Athearn, who called their version of a pressure car a “chemical” car. But in fact the platform has NOTHING to do with whatever contents are on board. The buyer of the tank car decided if they wanted a platform on their cars, regardless of use. There were, of course, a great many cars without platforms, including pressure cars, and all kinds of ordinary as well as pressure cars that DID have platforms. In short, a platform by itself tells you nothing about the use of the car.

Tony Thompson