Topics

Photo: SLSF Hopper 91062

Bob Chaparro

Photo: SLSF Hopper 91062

This is a link to a 1952 photo from the Missouri State Digital Collections:

https://digitalcollections.missouristate.edu/digital/collection/FriscoLab/id/2/rec/268

Use the Expand box in the upper right hand corner of the photo to enlarge it and scroll to enlarger it further. This is a very clear photo.

"Hopper car SF 91062 showing new style stenciling and monogram application. Photographed at North Springfield on November 10,1952 at request of Mr. Spangler."

The build date for this car was 1949.

Stencil says car repaired in November 1952.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Benjamin Hom

Bob Chaparro wrote:
https://digitalcollections.missouristate.edu/digital/collection/FriscoLab/id/2/rec/268
Stencil says car repaired in November 1952."

NO, IT DOES NOT.  It indicated that the car was REWEIGHED in November 1952.  There might have been repairs to trigger reweighing, but meeting periodic requirements is just as likely.

That date remains one of the most misunderstood elements of freight car lettering, and many enthusiasts can't seem to get it right.

Ben Hom

Norm Buckhart

Correct Ben - here’s the rule:

norm buckhart

On Jun 18, 2020, at 9:01 AM, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Bob Chaparro wrote:
https://digitalcollections.missouristate.edu/digital/collection/FriscoLab/id/2/rec/268
Stencil says car repaired in November 1952."

NO, IT DOES NOT.  It indicated that the car was REWEIGHED in November 1952.  There might have been repairs to trigger reweighing, but meeting periodic requirements is just as likely.

That date remains one of the most misunderstood elements of freight car lettering, and many enthusiasts can't seem to get it right.

Ben Hom

Steve and Barb Hile

You are both right.  There is a small stencil just to the right of the reweigh date that says it was also repaired in 11-52.  The bearings were repacked at that same time and, obviously, the car has been recently painted.

Steve Hile

Stencil says car repaired in November 1952."

NO, IT DOES NOT.  It indicated that the car was REWEIGHED in November 1952.  There might have been repairs to trigger reweighing, but meeting periodic requirements is just as likely.

That date remains one of the most misunderstood elements of freight car lettering, and many enthusiasts can't seem to get it right.

Ben Hom

Aley, Jeff A

Hmm.  I think a similarly-worded response would be “yes, it does.”  But I’ll refrain from the all caps.

Regards,

-Jeff

Jeff Aley wrote:
"Hmm.  I think a similarly-worded response would be “yes, it does.”  But I’ll refrain from the all caps."

I'll concede this one, but I'll guarantee people will continue to misconstrue the reweigh date again, including many on this list who should know better.

Ben Hom

Louie B. Hydrick

Greetings,

Look again Ben!

To the right of the repack stencil, there is a stencil that reads "REPAIRED SP . 11 . 52"

Louie B. Hydrick
Associate Broker
RE/MAX Partners
4316 Washington Road