Topics

Photo: Southern Automobile Boxcar 311006 (1938)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Southern Automobile Boxcar 311006 (1938)

A photo from the Historic Pittsburgh website:

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A715.3841794.CP/viewer

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

vapeurchapelon

Hello Bob,

either you or another member posted this link/ photo about a year ago.

The gondola is more interesting, at least for me. The vertical side posts are arranged with different spacing which I don't recall seeing very often.

Johannes

Gesendet: Montag, 19. Oktober 2020 um 20:16 Uhr
Von: "Bob Chaparro via groups.io" <chiefbobbb@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Southern Automobile Boxcar 311006 (1938)

Photo: Southern Automobile Boxcar 311006 (1938)

A photo from the Historic Pittsburgh website:

https://historicpittsburgh.org/islandora/object/pitt%3A715.3841794.CP/viewer

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Todd Sullivan

Hi Johannes,

I believe that is a Union RR (URR) steel mil gondola.  F&C makes these with a variety of different steel RR decals.

Todd Sullivan

Bruce Smith

We now take you to Buford, Wyoming. Two “men of the road” are sitting at their campfire arguing about this car, as it was set out by a freight on a siding for a bad bearing around a week ago. Fortunately, while the Fast Mail is also stuck in town, it’s not blocking their view of the car

“It's a furniture car”
“no, it’s an automobile car”
“no, I say it’s a furniture car”
“you're wrong, it says right on the side it’s an automobile car”
“no you’re wrong! it says right on the side it’s a furniture car!"

Just as things are about to get heated, a 3rd man walks up

“I know, let’s ask Mike. He’ll know”
“Hey Mike, is that a furniture or an automobile car”

Mike replies, “I have no idea! It's not from around here!”

And now back to your regular programming.
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

On Oct 19, 2020, at 1:16 PM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Southern Automobile Boxcar 311006 (1938)
A photo from the Historic Pittsburgh website:
Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

vapeurchapelon

Thanks for this hint, Todd!

Best regards

Johannes

Gesendet: Montag, 19. Oktober 2020 um 21:35 Uhr
Von: "Todd Sullivan via groups.io" <sullivant41@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Hi Johannes,

I believe that is a Union RR (URR) steel mil gondola.  F&C makes these with a variety of different steel RR decals.

Todd Sullivan

O Fenton Wells

Good one Bruce if we were in North Carolina Festus would have said, yup a Suth'rn car, made of wood right Billy Bob?  Probably fix'in to go over to Mt Pilot.
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Mark Vinski

It was for automobile furniture;  the front and back seats.
Mark Vinski