Photo: SP Boxcars (1930)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: SP Boxcars (1930)

A photo from the Hagley Digital Archives:

https://digital.hagley.org/PC20110405_861

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Not a great quality photo but you can read the car numbers.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Bob and List Members,

SP 27156 looks to be a USRA ss boxcar.

SP18489 is placarded with a diamond-shaped INFLAMMABLE placard.

Claus Schlund

A photo from the Hagley Digital Archives:

https://digital.hagley.org/PC20110405_861

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Not a great quality photo but you can read the car numbers.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Steve SANDIFER

Look at all of the manual labor!

J. Stephen Sandifer

A photo from the Hagley Digital Archives:

https://digital.hagley.org/PC20110405_861

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Not a great quality photo but you can read the car numbers.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

John Barry

27156 is a B-50-12 SS USRA car, while 18489 is a DS B-50-9.  The caption states this was a the first shipment of nitrate to the west coast.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

On Sunday, April 18, 2021, 03:00:46 PM EDT, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi Bob and List Members,

SP 27156 looks to be a USRA ss boxcar.

SP18489 is placarded with a diamond-shaped INFLAMMABLE placard.

Claus Schlund

A photo from the Hagley Digital Archives:

https://digital.hagley.org/PC20110405_861

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Not a great quality photo but you can read the car numbers.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dave Parker

Given the absolute domination of the world nitrogen market by Chilean nitrate until after WWI, I must confess to be being very dubious about the Summary's implication that this was the first shipment ever received my the SP.  Maybe the caption-writer really meant this was the first shipment carried by the SS Capac and handed off to the SP.  This is still striking as the ship was sold to the WR Grace Co and renamed the Capac in 1926.  Until it was torpedoed in 1942, it apparently plied the waters between South America and our Pacific coast, and Chilean nitrate should have been a common cargo.  There is a nice brief history of the ship here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Cardina

--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Tim O'Connor

In 1996 I saw unit trains of mill gondolas loaded with stone (for roads and concrete) in Houston.
I asked how they were unloaded - by labor! At the time they could pay less than $10 an hour for
back breaking labor to unload those gondolas. (With some help from machines.)

On 4/18/2021 3:57 PM, Steve SANDIFER wrote:

Look at all of the manual labor!

J. Stephen Sandifer

A photo from the Hagley Digital Archives:

https://digital.hagley.org/PC20110405_861

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Not a great quality photo but you can read the car numbers.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts