Topics

Photo: SP Flat Car(s) Transformer(s)

Richard Brennan

Dan

Upon closer examination I think you are correct - Re-writing:
These are two nearly-identical transformers on TWO different SP 70-ton(ish) SP Flat cars:

Photo on 4-8-1937 on SP 43595 F-50-12 ... with what look to be 70-ton leaf-spring trucks.
https://hdl.huntington.org/digital/collection/p16003coll2/id/30745/rec/693

Two days later, 4-10-1937, with nearly identical load... SP 49679 , the lone F-70-1... nee F-50-14 with heavier trucks.
https://hdl.huntington.org/digital/collection/p16003coll2/id/30879
AFAIK... this is the only known (so far) photo of 49679... on what was probably its first revenue trip.

--------------------
Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA
--------------------

At 07:03 PM 1/15/2021, Dan Smith wrote:
Richard Brennan wrote:

Photo on 4-8-1937 as SP 43595
<https://hdl.huntington.org/digital/collection/p16003coll2/id/30745/rec/693>https://hdl.huntington.org/digital/collection/p16003coll2/id/30745/rec/693
Two days later, 4-10-1937, with SAME load... as SP 49679
<https://hdl.huntington.org/digital/collection/p16003coll2/id/30879>https://hdl.huntington.org/digital/collection/p16003coll2/id/30879

I'm not sure if this is to imply that these 2 cars are the same car ? The same actual load ?

SP 43595 is an F-50-12 class car, 40' 10" length, with 70t trucks added. A temporary expedient ? Not listed in notes in the 7-39 ORER.

SP 49679 is an F-70-1 class car, 52' length, according to Tony's book.
But the 7-37 ORER lists it as an F-50-14, the last in it's # series. Were these trucks added for this load ? Kept with the car creating a new one off class ?
This might be a good question for Tony to chime in on.
Was car 49679 built as a 70t car? As class F-70-1 ?
Or was this car converted after delivery from an F-50-14 ? And then kept that way ? Car listed as 70t car in 3-39 ORER.

An interesting tidbit,
Dan Smith

Bruce Smith

One of the clinics during the virtual PRR day meeting was on transformers, by Rob Bennett. One thing I learned from Rob is that there was usually a transformer for each phase. I sent the photo to Rob and he looked around a bit and found this photo:
of not just the two mentioned but THREE transformers... so this was a three-phase installation. These are GE built.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Upon closer examination I think you are correct - Re-writing:
These are two nearly-identical transformers on TWO different SP
70-ton(ish) SP Flat cars:

Photo on 4-8-1937 on SP 43595 F-50-12 ... with what look to be 70-ton
leaf-spring trucks.
https://hdl.huntington.org/digital/collection/p16003coll2/id/30745/rec/693

Two days later, 4-10-1937, with nearly identical load... SP 49679 ,
the lone F-70-1... nee F-50-14 with heavier trucks.
https://hdl.huntington.org/digital/collection/p16003coll2/id/30879
AFAIK... this is the only known (so far) photo of 49679... on what
was probably its first revenue trip.

--------------------
Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA
--------------------

At 07:03 PM 1/15/2021, Dan Smith wrote:
>Richard Brennan wrote:
>
>Photo on 4-8-1937 as SP 43595
><https://hdl.huntington.org/digital/collection/p16003coll2/id/30745/rec/693>https://hdl.huntington.org/digital/collection/p16003coll2/id/30745/rec/693
>Two days later, 4-10-1937, with SAME load... as SP 49679
><https://hdl.huntington.org/digital/collection/p16003coll2/id/30879>https://hdl.huntington.org/digital/collection/p16003coll2/id/30879
>
>I'm not sure if this is to imply that these 2 cars are the same car
>? The same actual load ?
>
>SP 43595 is an F-50-12 class car, 40' 10" length, with 70t trucks
>added. A temporary expedient ? Not listed in notes in the 7-39 ORER.
>
>SP 49679 is an F-70-1 class car, 52' length, according to Tony's book.
>But the 7-37 ORER lists it as an F-50-14, the last in it's # series.
>Were these trucks added for this load ? Kept with the car creating a
>new one off class ?
>This might be a good question for Tony to chime in on.
>           Was car 49679 built as a 70t car? As class F-70-1 ?
>           Or was this car converted after delivery from an F-50-14
> ? And then kept that way ? Car listed as 70t car in 3-39 ORER.
>
>An interesting tidbit,
>Dan Smith

Thank you Bruce, for filling in fantastic extra info.

That shows car 43386, the other car listed in the 7-37 ORER, note PPP as exceptions in the 43191 to 43690 series F-50-12 cars with greater capacity.
See my post earlier in this tread.

I tried plugging in to the Huntington Library site and searching for more photos on this installation but found it difficult to navigate.

Are there more photos ?
Dan Smith

David Soderblom

Two observations:

1. Note the shiplap decking on 43595, as opposed to the square-cut lumber we saw being used on the Southern flat being resurfaced.

2. Were transformers like this being manufactured in California?  If they came from the east coast I’d expect to see them on cars built for these loads, such as from NYC.  Perhaps they came by ship to San Pedro harbor, hence the SP cars for the transfer?

David Soderblom
Baltimore MD

--
David Soderblom
Baltimore MD

Bruce Smith

Dan,

There are a number of additional photos. I found these in several ways. First, the photo caption says Porterville, Ca, so I searched "Porterville". That got me a lot of hits, but there was a click box on the left to select the photographer so I selected G. Haven Bishop and go about 35 hits. Alternatively, you can conduct a much tighter search with "Transformers for Magunden" and that gets 12 hits of this particular move. A broader search for "Magunden" gets 107 hits with more photos of the move, plus other photos of the switching station.

Regards,
Bruce
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

Thank you Bruce, for filling in fantastic extra info.

That shows car 43386, the other car listed in the 7-37 ORER, note PPP as exceptions in the 43191 to 43690 series F-50-12 cars with greater capacity.
See my post earlier in this tread.

I tried plugging in to the Huntington Library site and searching for more photos on this installation but found it difficult to navigate.

Are there more photos ?
Dan Smith

Group,

Here is another photo from the Huntington Library collection showing the lone SP F-70-1 # 49679 flat with load more clearly.

https://hdl.huntington.org/digital/collection/p16003coll2/id/30649/rec/106

Can't find class stencil that was normal practice on car though.

Dan Smith

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

Note the "Not to be loaded off system lines" stencil. This sort of answers the earlier question about whether these cars were sent east to be loaded. Somebody mentioned possible transport by ship to San Diego. If these came by sea, San Pedro or Long Beach (Los Angeles Harbor) was far more likely.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 10:45 AM Dan Smith <espeefan@...> wrote:
Group,

Here is another photo from the Huntington Library collection showing the lone SP F-70-1 # 49679 flat with load more clearly.

https://hdl.huntington.org/digital/collection/p16003coll2/id/30649/rec/106

Can't find class stencil that was normal practice on car though.

Dan Smith

Fred Swanson

There are 77 photos using search Magunden Switching Station.  There are more than a dozen related to this train  Here's one https://hdl.huntington.org/digital/collection/p16003coll2/id/30873
Fred Swanson

Robert Bowdidge

I'm guessing these are GE transformers, manufactured in Oakland.

General Electric had a transformer plant in Oakland, CA starting in 1924.  (5441 East 14th/ International Blvd).

See "Project Background information" here.
https://www.oaklandca.gov/documents/ge-site-remediation-and-redevelopment-project-draft-environmental-impact-report-deir-5441-international-blvd-case-file-number-er18013

LA's

Westinghouse Electric had a plant in Emeryville, CA from 1924, but it was apparently only building insulators, and later repaired transformers.
https://www.epa.gov/pcbs/pacific-southwest-pcb-success-stories-redevelopment-northern-california

Westinghouse did build transformers in Sunnyvale, CA, but only starting around 1946 when they bought Hendy Iron Works.  I did a quick search and couldn't find other mentions of Westinghouse manufacturing transformers in California.

https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/cursites/csitinfo.cfm?id=0900956

Robert