From: Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb@...>
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Dec 29, 2019 10:34 am
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Photo: SRLX Reefers

Photo: SRLX Reefers
Does anyone have details about the Swift refrigerator cars that are on the right side of this photo?
Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.
The lettering on the one car appears to say "Safety Refrigerator".
Thanks.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Richard Townsend

The CBC plans and photo are for a steel-bodied version of the car, lettered SRIX 101, built 10-29.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

I don't think they are SRLX cars. I think they are SRIX. The dot after the "I" makes it look like an "L". My 1931 CBC on pages 190-192 has a photo and plans. The cars used a "silica-gel iceless system" for refrigeration. There were burners in one end heating, I presume, the silica gel, that somehow resulted in cooling the car via evaporators and condensers at the roof.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Does anyone have details about the Swift refrigerator cars that are on the right side of this photo?
Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.
The lettering on the one car appears to say "Safety Refrigerator".
Thanks.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Jon Miller

On 12/29/2019 11:16 AM, Richard Townsend via Groups.Io wrote:
I think they are SRIX.

See;

https://books.google.com/books?id=oHJCAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA406&lpg=PA406&dq=silica-gel+iceless+system+for+refrigeration&source=bl&ots=yBsJQW5Cp0&sig=ACfU3U3pXWXVImL6dYTdlXXInunnf328qw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjnrPbby9vmAhWZLs0KHd8zCYwQ6AEwAHoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=silica-gel%20iceless%20system%20for%20refrigeration&f=false

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Richard is correct... the reporting marks show a S.R.I.X. on my 27” 5 k monitor.

Bill Daniels
Santa Rosa, California