Topics

Photo: SRLX Reefers

Bob Chaparro

Does anyone have details about the Swift refrigerator cars that are on the right side of this photo?

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-12-29-19/X7002.jpg

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

The lettering on the one car appears to say "Safety Refrigerator".

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Richard Townsend

I don't think they are SRLX cars. I think they are SRIX. The dot after the "I" makes it look like an "L". My 1931 CBC on pages 190-192 has a photo and plans. The cars used a "silica-gel iceless system" for refrigeration. There were burners in one end heating, I presume, the silica gel, that somehow resulted in cooling the car via evaporators and condensers at the roof.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Dec 29, 2019 10:34 am
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Photo: SRLX Reefers

Does anyone have details about the Swift refrigerator cars that are on the right side of this photo?
Thanks.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Richard Townsend

The CBC plans and photo are for a steel-bodied version of the car, lettered SRIX 101, built 10-29.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Sent: Sun, Dec 29, 2019 11:16 am
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: SRLX Reefers

I don't think they are SRLX cars. I think they are SRIX. The dot after the "I" makes it look like an "L". My 1931 CBC on pages 190-192 has a photo and plans. The cars used a "silica-gel iceless system" for refrigeration. There were burners in one end heating, I presume, the silica gel, that somehow resulted in cooling the car via evaporators and condensers at the roof.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Thanks.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Jon Miller

On 12/29/2019 11:16 AM, Richard Townsend via Groups.Io wrote:
I think they are SRIX.

See;

https://books.google.com/books?id=oHJCAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA406&lpg=PA406&dq=silica-gel+iceless+system+for+refrigeration&source=bl&ots=yBsJQW5Cp0&sig=ACfU3U3pXWXVImL6dYTdlXXInunnf328qw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjnrPbby9vmAhWZLs0KHd8zCYwQ6AEwAHoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=silica-gel%20iceless%20system%20for%20refrigeration&f=false

-- 
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems, 
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Richard is correct... the reporting marks show a S.R.I.X. on my 27” 5 k monitor.

Bill Daniels
Santa Rosa, California

On Dec 29, 2019, at 11:16 AM, Richard Townsend via Groups.Io <richtownsend@...> wrote:

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

Thanks.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Bob Chaparro

SRIX Trivia:

1. Text from the Railway Age article: "The Safety Car Heating & Lighting Company, New York, has had in service for a number of months an iceless refrigerator car, the principle of the operation of which is based on certain physical properties of a substance known as silica gel. No source of mechanical power is required, the operation being effected by heat from a stored gas supply. Several long haul runs have been made with the first car equipped with this system and the results have been uniformly successful. A variety of commodities have been carried, including frozen fish, oranges, and cantaloupe."

2. The December 1928 Frisco Employees Magazine reported a complimentary letter from a consignee about the railroad's service, which used SRIX 25 to transport fish from Midway, CT, to Ft. Worth, TX. The praise was for the speed of service rather than the car, however.

3. In 1930, the publication Better Fruit reported that an iceless, stoveless car, called a Silica Gel or Srix car, carried pears from Yakima to New York in March and the pears reached New York in perfect condition.

The Minnesota Historical Society has Great Northern Railroad documents on the fruit claims of R. W. Gudgeon regarding movement in SRIX cars, 1933-1934.

4. The Safety Car Heating & Lighting Company was incorporated in 1887 and owned the American patents for the Pintsch compressed oil-gas system for lighting railroad cars. The company also controlled a system for heating cars.

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Jon Miller

On 12/29/2019 9:39 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io wrote:
SRIX Trivia:

I read the article and from what I gather this was a far superior system to ice.  I guessing it was too expensive (starting with car cost) and maintenance heavy for the change from ice.

-- 
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
Digitrax  Chief/Zephyr systems, 
SPROG, JMRI User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS