Topics

Photo: Staley Tank Cars

Bob Chaparro

Undated photo from the Decatur Herald & Review:

https://tinyurl.com/taxs6pc

There are a number of other general railroad photos on the page that included the above photo:

https://tinyurl.com/yx6onejn

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bruce Smith

AC&F Type 11, 10,000 gallon tank car. 

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith            

Auburn, AL

"Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield."

On Jan 13, 2020, at 10:43 AM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

pennsylvania1954

On the page reached through Bob's second link, the fifth photo from the bottom, "Staley grain car dumper 1951", caught my attention. How does the grain get out of the rebuilt WABASH boxcar? Does that device roll the car as well as tilt it?
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Gary Roe

Steve,

In a word, yes.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

On Monday, January 13, 2020, 11:28:11 PM CST, pennsylvania1954 <stevehprr@...> wrote:

On the page reached through Bob's second link, the fifth photo from the bottom, "Staley grain car dumper 1951", caught my attention. How does the grain get out of the rebuilt WABASH boxcar? Does that device roll the car as well as tilt it?
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Gary Roe

Perhaps I should amend my answer a little.  "Roll" is probably not the right description of what the unloader does.  It tips the car to the side enough to get the grain to run to the side of the car that has the door open; but it does not roll the car over, like a rotary dumper for coal.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

On Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 5:31:29 AM CST, Gary Roe <wabashrr@...> wrote:

Steve,

In a word, yes.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

On Monday, January 13, 2020, 11:28:11 PM CST, pennsylvania1954 <stevehprr@...> wrote:

--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Douglas Harding

Here is an ad for a boxcar unloader device. You can see it tilts and rolls.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of pennsylvania1954
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2020 11:28 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Photo: Staley Tank Cars

--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Douglas Harding

Here is a photo at a flour mill, showing the car is rolled to one side while tilted.

http://collections.mnhs.org/cms/largerimage?irn=10415125&catirn=10726893&return=

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of pennsylvania1954

--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Tim O'Connor

Has this one received a different underframe? It's 1966, 50 years after the build date.

On 1/13/2020 11:52 AM, Bruce Smith wrote:

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith            

Auburn, AL

On Jan 13, 2020, at 10:43 AM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Attachments:

_

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Bruce Smith

Um Tim,

That is a completely different car, both with respect to the under frame and the tank. The photo you posted appears to be a Pennsylvania Tank Car Company product. Careful examination would seem to indicate an original tank and under frame combination. Spotting features at the safety valves at opposite ends of the dome, 5 radial courses, and under frame with sills (which looks very much like a GATC product).

Regards,
Bruce 
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 6:34 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Has this one received a different underframe? It's 1966, 50 years after the build date.

On 1/13/2020 11:52 AM, Bruce Smith wrote:

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith            

Auburn, AL

Attachments:

_

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Tangent Scale Models

Tim, that is a GATC 1917-design tank.

David Lehlbach
Tangent Scale Models

Robert J. Amsler, Jr.

I have attached a photograph of a MP boxcar being lifted and turned to clear it of grain.

Robert J. Amsler, Jr.

514 Dover Place

Saint Louis, Missouri 63111

(314) 606-6118  (Telephone)

(314) 754-2688  (Facsimile)

MPFan1@...

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Douglas Harding
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 8:31 AM

Here is an ad for a boxcar unloader device. You can see it tilts and rolls.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL