Topics

Photo: Staley Tank Cars

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Staley Tank Cars

Undated photo from the Decatur Herald & Review:

https://tinyurl.com/taxs6pc

There are a number of other general railroad photos on the page that included the above photo:

https://tinyurl.com/yx6onejn

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bruce Smith

AC&F Type 11, 10,000 gallon tank car.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Jan 13, 2020, at 10:43 AM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Staley Tank Cars

Undated photo from the Decatur Herald & Review:

https://tinyurl.com/taxs6pc

pennsylvania1954

On the page reached through Bob's second link, the fifth photo from the bottom, "Staley grain car dumper 1951", caught my attention. How does the grain get out of the rebuilt WABASH boxcar? Does that device roll the car as well as tilt it?
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Gary Roe

Steve,

In a word, yes.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

On Monday, January 13, 2020, 11:28:11 PM CST, pennsylvania1954 <stevehprr@...> wrote:

On the page reached through Bob's second link, the fifth photo from the bottom, "Staley grain car dumper 1951", caught my attention. How does the grain get out of the rebuilt WABASH boxcar? Does that device roll the car as well as tilt it?
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Gary Roe

Perhaps I should amend my answer a little.  "Roll" is probably not the right description of what the unloader does.  It tips the car to the side enough to get the grain to run to the side of the car that has the door open; but it does not roll the car over, like a rotary dumper for coal.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

On Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 5:31:29 AM CST, Gary Roe <wabashrr@...> wrote:

Steve,

In a word, yes.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

On Monday, January 13, 2020, 11:28:11 PM CST, pennsylvania1954 <stevehprr@...> wrote:

On the page reached through Bob's second link, the fifth photo from the bottom, "Staley grain car dumper 1951", caught my attention. How does the grain get out of the rebuilt WABASH boxcar? Does that device roll the car as well as tilt it?
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Douglas Harding

Here is an ad for a boxcar unloader device. You can see it tilts and rolls.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

On the page reached through Bob's second link, the fifth photo from the bottom, "Staley grain car dumper 1951", caught my attention. How does the grain get out of the rebuilt WABASH boxcar? Does that device roll the car as well as tilt it?
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

Douglas Harding

Here is a photo at a flour mill, showing the car is rolled to one side while tilted.

http://collections.mnhs.org/cms/largerimage?irn=10415125&catirn=10726893&return=

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org