Photo: Swift Reefer 2805

Bob Chaparro

Photo: Swift Reefer 2805

A photo from the Penney Vanderbilt And KC Jones website:

https://penneyandkc.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/maybrook_yard_004.jpg

My 1955 Equipment Register shows no listings for “Swift” nor “SRLX”.

My 1945 Equipment Register shows the SRLX reporting marks under General American Transportation Corp. so by that time Swift reefers were leased from General American. However, this particular can is not in the 1945 listing.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Bob Chaparro

Doug Harding commented:

It’s wearing the Red scheme adopted by Swift c1950. Swift sold all their reefers in the 30s and then leased back. In your 1955 ORER look under General American and you should find the Swift reefers. As my books are now packed I cannot check and confirm.

+++

Right you are, Doug.

This car was part of series 2500-2874.

For some reason, my 1945 Equipment Register on CD found SRLX but the 1955 version did not.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

nyc3001 .

Edited

Apparently, the Rapido GARX reefer will be close to the 2500-series Swift reefers if the notched side sill that comes with the Rapido model is replaced with a straight sill. The Swift cars also had a slightly lower door.

However, I compared my Sunshine 2500-series reefer to the Rapido model and noticed that the Rapido car is visibly wider. I am not sure which car is closer to the prototype width, but I suspect it is the Sunshine model (need to dig out my scale ruler to confirm).

-Phil Lee

Dennis Storzek

Just an additional comment, that triangle shaped blob next to the door is the logo General American applied to most, if not all, the cars they owned.

Dennis Storzek

Dave Parker

Bob:

It's in my January 1945 ORER.  2500-2999, split into two sub-series differing only in ice-bunker capacity, 370 total cars.
--
Dave Parker
Swall Meadows, CA

Bob,

They are listed on the General American pages in my October 1958 ORER: Series 2000-2999, 313 cars, plus four exceptions with a slightly lower interior volume. Could it be that the series had different numbers in 1945, perhaps later reunumbered after rebuilding?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆