Topics

Photo: T&P Livestock Car 22098 (Circa 1946)

Bob Chaparro

Photo: T&P Livestock Car 22098 (Circa 1946)

Photo from the SMU Libraries:

https://digitalcollections.smu.edu/digital/collection/ryr/id/2745/rec/306

Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.

Built 1929. Nice, clear details.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tony Thompson

Bob Chaparro wrote:

Photo: T&P Livestock Car 22098 (Circa 1946)
Photo from the SMU Libraries:
Scroll on the photo to enlarge it.
Built 1929. Nice, clear details.

     Excellent photo. I have browsed a little in the Robert Yarnall Richie collection at SMU, and they are superb images. He was a commercial photographer, and must have had a lot of railroad clients (or was a rail fan), because there are a LOT of railroad subjects in the collection.
     I am glad to see some of them digitized. Many negatives were on nitrate film, which by these days is practically deteriorating before your eyes. Digitizing them before they are lost is a great objective, full credit to the DeGolyer people at SMU.

Tony Thompson

akerboomk

A couple questions

-       What is the angled steel(?) “bracket”, about half way between reporting marks and door (even with lint under the marks)?
Something to attach movable railing to, to contain cattle?

-       The “door stop” (plate seen mostly by its shadow) seems a bit thin to me???

Ken

--
Ken Akerboom

Douglas Harding

The angled bracket to the left of the door is used to hold the “bull bar” when it is not in use. This was a wood board used across the door opening to prevent large animals from escaping while the door was being open or closed. It fit into slots within the door framing. When not in use the board was placed in the outside bracket for storage, often with a chain to keep it attached to the car. Not all roads used them.

Attached is a photo of a metal one in position in the door opening. And a second photo showing a traditional wood one in the stored position on CBQ 55966.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

  • What is the angled steel(?) “bracket”, about half way between reporting marks and door (even with lint under the marks)?
    Something to attach movable railing to, to contain cattle?
  • The “door stop” (plate seen mostly by its shadow) seems a bit thin to me???

Ken

--
Ken Akerboom

Tony Thompson

ken akerboom wrote:

A couple questions
-       The “door stop” (plate seen mostly by its shadow) seems a bit thin to me???

     Just a poor modeling job <vbg>.

Tony Thompson